Bifocals and Peep sights

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MCOrlando, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MCOrlando

MCOrlando Banned

I am new to this sport and have become addicted very quickly. I'm shooting a compound bow with a basic Truglow sight. My middle age eyes and bifocals are causing a problem focusing on the target through the peepsight. I'm thinking of trying a rear type sight, similiar to the Hind Sight. Does anyone have any experience with these?

One local archery shop told me if my anchor points are consistant enough I don't need a peep sight at all. I can see his point, but feel I am too green at this point to do without any type of rear sight at all.

I know I shouldn't lean my head into the string, but should keep the head up straight. I can't seem to get the peep sight in a location where I can focus on the target. I can focus on the sight pins, but then the target is so blurry I can't sight in on it. I therefore don't know what else to do except try the Hind Sight or something like it. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried them before I spend $50.

2. 3dhunter

3dhunter Member

I actually wear no-line bifocals. However, I find the small version of glasses I wear doesn't really work very well, not enough lense and blurry. I had to go to the aviator kind, bigger with enough room to see. I reccommend getting them tinted in "shooter yellow", had them for over 7 year and love them. Also check your stance and head positioning. A slight lean-in can be beneficial.

3. bengapple

bengapple Junior Member

I'm in the same boat

I wear graduated bifocals but I have not been able to shot with them on. So I have been struggeling with out any glasses. I can see the target just fine but my pins become a blur. I haven't tryed to shot with my glasses on. I guess I just plain thought that it would not work. Could you be a tad more detailed in your description of the shooters yellow glasses that you had made?

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have been playing w/my setup and trying to get it to a point were i dont see the pin or the target clearly, kinda just getting the two lined up and not focusing on either. Seems to be working for me anyway.....:noidea:

5. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Member

I have the same problems you guys are having. Glasses don't work well and without them I get blurry pins, clear target.
    I know of something you may try. It is called the "Super Peep Hunter Verifyer Apperature" from Specialty Archery. Basically it is an interchangeable apperature lens installed into the peep housing. I ran across them in my Keystone Country Store catalog. They are a little bit pricey though. Their peep systems give you the ability to screw in different sized apperatures and different lens apperatures.
    I ordered the Super Ball Peep for short bows ( I shoot a Mathews Switchback) and the #6 Verifyer apperature. The customer service person at KCS said the #6 is for those who wear reading glasses of approx 125-175. They also said if the #6 verifyer was the wrong magnification they would exchange at no charge until I got the correct lens.

It works pretty well. I say pretty well because my pins are now crystal clear but my target is just a little blurry. I can see quarter sized dot out to 50 yrds but it is just a little blurry. I do shoot better with focused pins. Now, I don't shoot competition or anything, I just target shoot at home and bowhunt. For me this system works fine. Well enough to hit a snuff can out to 60 yrds.

You can google Super Peep Hunter or I think the web site is specialtyarch.com. Just something to consider.

6. Teacher

Teacher Junior Member

I wear bifocals too. Always been a problem. He is a simple compromise I learned from a pistol shooter. Go to a store and try on reading glasses. Hold out an object or stand in front of print that is about bowsite distance from your face. Get the diopter that allows you to see the greatest distance clearly but doesn't blurr the up close print too much. Usually this diopter is about half of your perscription diopter. In other words if you normally have #2.00 you might need #1.00 or #1.25. I finally learned that it is a COMPROMISE. There is no such lens that allows you to see clearly near and far. Just wait though. Your eyes will get much worse with age. But then you want care as much either. Age takes care of the old!!

7. bengapple

bengapple Junior Member

I tried the Verifer

Folks I have been using the verifier for about a week now and it appears it has soved my problem. I see the pins sharp and the targets or 3Ds wichever I aim at are pretty clear. My shooting has had a maked improvement, I still need alot of practice but now I can see pins and targets. Just thought I would pass it on to all of us old guys.

8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Hey, Okie,

Before some guys plop down the money for a #6 Verifier I just want to add that I hear they make a #5 now. Probably worth a call to Specialty to find out for sure.

I got the same problem guys. +2.00 for me at 59 years old. The #6 Verifier helps, but I don't use it for hunting. And rest assured there is no lens that will bring both the pins and the target into focus unless you use something that puts them both on the same plane, such as a rifle scope. It's just a fact. Even with good, young eyes one or the other will be out of focus. Best thing to do is focus on the target. Look where you want your arrow to go and burn a hole there. The pin will be somewhat of a blur, but it'll get there.