blazer vanes

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by huntin hard, Dec 20, 2007.

1. huntin hard

huntin hard New Member

since i got my new bow ive notice the loud hissing noise from the vanes, what are the alternatives to the blazer vanes

2. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

If you have a drop away rest you can try FOB's.

3. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

the hissing is probably some of the Blazers are starting to come unglued. Go with Dura vanes or Bohning X Vanes(Bohning makes Blazers as well)Also use Bohning Platinum glue.Probably the best all around vane adhesive.

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

FOBS hiss also. More so than blazers. I'm told the deer will not hear the hiss but I haven't been able to ask one yet.....:noidea:

5. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

The noise is only heard from behind the arrow and it is more a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz then a hiss (I know, no difference still a noise). I have stood off to the side of the target and listened as one was shot, I never even heard a thing.

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I went and shot with a buddy a few weeks ago that was shooting FOBS. I was shooting blazers. I noticed more noise with the FOBS, but like you said, I was behind the arrow and I don't doubt that the sound can't be heard from the front. I never really noticed a hiss from my blazers, so I would guess something is amiss.....:peace:

7. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I use to shoot blazers before I became a Fobernaut. When my blazers started to hiss I knew they would be coming off shortly.

8. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

That would be my thought too.

I'd probably try the fobs, but I don't think I can get the clearance on a Ripcord. Not sure though.

9. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

until arrows go super sonic, the FOB noise will be heard in all directions. A quality SOFT ,durable low profile vane is the way to go DURA VANE

10. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

this was the reply from a field test that was done:

'the one thing that does attract me to their performance is they make no down range noise at all , the ring wing design will not allow the tell tale chatter that vanes get (all be it less than feathers). I stood to the side (well out of the way and behind cover) while we shot vanes and FOB'S alternatively into my target at 25m and the quietness of the FOB is very noticable, you can't here the arrow coming at all as you can with Vanes.'

I've tried the test and would agree with the comment. I shot 2 deer this year with them (1 @20 and 1 @30ish) and neither one lifted their head.

11. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

FOB's are a joke. Stick with a good quality soft vane.

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use Blazers for everything and I have no noise problems that I can perceive...
    :noidea:

Ron

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

People that speak in absolutes are a joke......:cool:

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Objectivity and open-mindedness is definitely a virtue... :peace:
    I thought drop away rests were a joke. Then I tried one and I likely won't go back to a fixed rest...

Ron

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I think some things are a joke myself.....most I've personally tried....but even if I do think something is a joke....I would give a more intelligent reasoning than that....:cool:

16. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

switch to FOB's and everyone at the range can :pound: at you too.:pound:

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

They are funny looking, I'll give you that much... :lol:
    They look like something a little man from outer space could have invented...
    I was going to use the word alien but the context of that word has expanded in recent years... :lol:

Ron

18. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Wonder why everyone I've spoken to that uses them will never go back to vanes...

Maybe they just don't fly well out of your 37" AtA hoyts? Or maybe you are installing them wrong... they go on the end that attachs to the arrow... not the pointy end

20. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

put a spot of glue at the front of the vane .probably caused by your new bow being faster.some vanes are squared at the front more than others.