Blind for Bow Hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kimbercarry, Nov 29, 2007.

1. kimbercarry

kimbercarry Junior Member

I just started shooting last year around this time. My state has a 2nd season starting Dec 26 and I'm thinking about going out a few times. Here is the thing....I've never hunted for big game before, just small game so I consider myself a novice. A treestand would seem to be a bit much for me right now so I am consdering a blind. Would this be sufficient? Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Let me know and thank in advance.

2. hansel

hansel Member

I have a Ameristep Brickhouse, and it's large enough for me, and my son to hunt in, plus it's half the price of a Double Bull

3. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

My experience with deer and blind hunting is this:

Small/young deer don't seem to mind it

Large/older deer don't spook but will notice it and often keep their distance

It really limits your ability to see deer in the area

Until this year I mainly used my blind. This year I've seen more deer and saw them much sooner which allows you to prepare for the shot.

If you have a specific spot that really limits the deers approach such as a creek crossing or a fence opening I really think that makes the blind more effective.

4. greenhorn100

greenhorn100 Junior Member

my 13 year son started bow hunting this year and i set him up on a blind. we didnt have any problems with good bucks coming near bow range 25 yards. find where the deer are traveling and set your blind at your maxium shooting distance a week or two before you hunt let the deer get use to it and get ready.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am gonna look into getting a good blind, I have been using tree stands for so long, I need a change of pace:rockon:

6. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Yes, if you leave it out the deer will get used to it.

Where I hunt my blind would become someone else's blind.

7. kimbercarry

kimbercarry Junior Member

Well I found an Ameristep Dog House at Walmart the other day on sale for $59. I took it out for some practice and man was it way different shooting from inside it versus stand up shooting. Will really need some practice. It seemed a bit small though. My bow kept hitting the top of the blind and I really only felt it would be comfortable for 1 person which kinda sucks.. My 8 yr old son was hoping to accompany me a few times. I assume larger ones are available???? I really have no idea where to place it or how to go about finding a good deer spot. Like I said, I've never deer hunted before....just squirrel

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I tell ya what I have tried blinds but in most of my spots it's hard to leave a blind cause somebody else is gonna end up taking it home. When I gun hunt I primarily hunt on the ground and I don't hunt in a blind. I have taken more deer on the ground than I have in a treestand over the years. You can hunt on the ground with a bow without a blind. It's tough but it can be done. I try to find me a brushy place to get into and as long as you got good camoflage and good cover in front of you to break up your outline you would be suprised how close you can get deer to come in. The trick is to wait for the deer to turn away from you or get there head behind a tree before you try to draw....My $.02...

P.S. Of course none of this is as important as hunting the wind...

9. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

tree stans arnt really anymore complicated than a blind and it helps alot to be of the ground. just my opinion. just get familiar with it before you plan on hunting it.

10. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

If you can afford it go with the Double Bull 360. I don't own one but have a couple of friends that do. They will fit 3 hunters comfortably. Having said that, when you set one up, brush it in really well. Deer need a few days to get used to it, but turkeys don't seem to mind them at all.

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have an Ameristep Dog house, and I love it...goes up quick and easy, nice and roomy...
    My only complaints are the 1" wide velcro on the nets(sounds like a freighttrain in the woods...:mad: ) and my Darton Maverick is a bit long for it @ 37"...but other than that it's a good inexpensive blind