Bow arm shoulder , OUCH!! What to do?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by tresmon, Aug 17, 2007.

1. tresmon

tresmon Member

So I got my bow I guess going on three weeks ago. I have been shooting it every single day since, 'cept for two I can think of.

Last three days I have had to put "Blue Emu" muscle rub on my bow arm- shoulder. (Man that stuff is awesome. First time I used it. Blows all the other stuff outta the water)

So it like a burning fiery pain deep in the shoulder. Managable, but not convenient.

So to be honest, I'm really worried I will need to stop shooitng for a while before it becomes serious. I have not shot since
    tuesday :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: and am trying to hold out until next tuesday local club meet.

So do I need to get one of those archery exercisor things or what?

Thanks as always.

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

take your poundage down 5 to 10 lbs. And take a week off. Or until it doesnt hurt to draw back. Your using your muscles to much. Shoot every other day till your shoulder gets used to it. Dont worry !! It wont take long.

3. tresmon

tresmon Member

Thanks for the info.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Ease back man! drop to shooting every other day and shoot 1/2 the number of arrows. I would say start shooting 30 arrows a night, 40 at the max (thats 8 rounds of 5 arrows each)

If I'm screwing around and shooting a lot of arrows / end i get issues like that too like if I shoot 10 arrows w/out a walk in between it gets tender

5. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Rest. Then don't over do it, when you shoot again.

6. diamondman

diamondman Member

time for lighter limbs.. what kind of bow is it..

7. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

9 rears ago i tore the daylites out of my left rotator cuff and luckly it was my left shoulder ( i'm right handed) and chose not to have it operated on and to this day it will still cause me problems if i shoot to much and i'll have to walk away for a day.Better to be safe than over do it.There's always tomorrow.:amen:

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It's normal...we've all been there.
    Just gotta slow down w/ your practice sessions...:dizzy:

9. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

when I first started I did the same thing...although my first bow was an 82lb draw ultratec. I could draw it back no problem, but after a couple weeks my shoulder was blown up....I layed off for 2 weeks (hard to do) and lowered the poundage to 75 and haven't had a problem since.

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Well call me old or just lazy but if I half to do what I call a sky draw to pull back a bow the weight is to high. So say well I do not do that and I put 70 pounds but yes you do a little. And that is a sign of to much weight. I hold my bow up and pull straight back. I can pull 60 pound with out a problim and dead is dead, X is an X, 12 is a 12. So pulling a 70 or 80 pound bow is not bow is not needed.

11. tresmon

tresmon Member

Thanks every one, you eased my worries.

For the record, agreeable or not, I place my pin on my target and come to full draw with the pin never having left the butt as the local guys taught me, every time.

12. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Every thing's bigger in Texas!!! :lol: Who starts off shooting an 80lb bow??? :rockon:

Ben

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That's the proper way...
    My wife points here bow to the sky on the draw...I'm waiting for the LAUNCH...I can't force her to correct it but I'm trying...:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

14. tresmon

tresmon Member

I shoot in my yard, which is in a condo complex. Target is at the base of a cement retaining wall. If I skydraw, and a d-loop breaks, a release slips, or human error rears it's ugly head, things could end up very very very bad.

But, if the arrow is ALWAYS pointed at the butt/cement wall prior to draw, at full draw and release, no worries:amen:

15. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Those who want to wreck there arms and shoulders lol