bow durability

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Heavyhaul, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

Her it goes. I am bracing myself. I have to say that so far, I think that I have an excellentbow shop 6 miles from my house. They will spend all of the time in the world answer any question that you have. My only problem is that they are Mathews partial. They deal in PSE, Bowtech, Browning, Bear, Mathews, AR. They sold Hoyt till two years ago when the pres. was traveling with the salesman and, well, they opted out of their dealership. I was told it was over price increase versus innovation. Anyway, this dealer gives credit to Bowtech, Bear, etc for their smoothness and shootability, but he claims that with the set-up that they use, the Mathews will flat out out last them. This comes from candid conversation. He will show and sell you any bow that you like. Everybody is on the Mathews band wagon. I like to be different. I drive Fords, shoot Dan Wesson revolvers, things like that. Will Mathews out last the other bows? I'm talking 50 arrows a day, 5 days a week.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

No.

that was easy. Any other questions? :)

My dad has a WhiteTail prohunter that is 20+ years old. My uncle has the same bow... Both bows still shoot fine and are older then Mathews ;)

3. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Bout fell out of my chair on this one.......:laugh: :laugh: If i were in this prediciment, id buy one of all 3 and dryfire them 1 at a time, the last one that is still shootable at the end of the test is the most durable!!! What i did is shot some bows, and bought the one that felt the best, and would setup for what i wanted it to do.(target, hunting 3d....ext) I have switched brands 3 times. Id say any bow could have a faluire, but I think any of the new ones are pretty good, with good warentys on them. 250 arrows a week is not as much as you would think. I know guys that shoot 100+ 3 or 4 times a week.

4. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I am seriously thinking that Bowtechis the way I would like to eventually go. I haven't shot them yet, but they fell good in my hand an pull very smooth. I think that he is trying to take me und his wing. His two biggest things are that he has been to the factories and met most owners and really to a liking to Matt and the way he operates his company. Basically it is all done in-house. The second is the single cam. He tells me that a cam-and-a half and a two cam are basically the same and suffer from timing and therefore accuracy and set-up problems. By him, my Martin is perfectly in tune, but won't be in a month considering how much I shoot. I am just passing on what I hear. That way I can compare info. WOW I need to proof read.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  5. justiadak

justiadak Member

I have A mathews conquest pro. that is close to 10 years old that has shot 300 arrows A week thats 60 arrows a day 5 days a week for 5 years before I bought it. thats around 75000 arrows before I bought it and I shoot about 140 arrows a week for the last 1 and 1/2 years. and it shoot and looks new.:peace:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The new Cam and 1/2 and Binary are not hard to time, they also don't get out of time very often without some sort of outside interferance (ie: don't screw with it!)... all that stuff is mostly myth made up by single cam shooters ;)

Martin's are good bows, the only way yours would have issues is if the string stretches and throws off your peep or if you screw with it.

Mathews does make a good bow, so does every other vendor you mentioned and some for a MUCH Better price.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I simply can not beleive that this would hold true today.....not saying he is lieing but a single cam can be out of optimum perfomance.....

8. bullspotter

I think most all bows have timing issues, and its not that big of a deal to change, If single cam bows need no timing, and were superior, their would not be 1 bow made in the last 4 or 5 years with 2 cams on it.. well might be a few..... Ill bet i see 3 to 4 dual cam bows to 1 single.

9. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I'm looking for durability and feel, not that last fps that I can get. I tink this is like the guy that will tell you to buy an $1800 rifle when 99% of us can outshoot a $500 rifle.:laugh:

10. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I'm reading and learning fellas.

11. bullspotter

Opppps forgot to finish, do i dislike 1 cam bows, nope..... lot of people prefure the way thy feel on draw cycle.....

12. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

Keep it coming. I gotta go. Got a date with the brother-in-law for THE Eastern Sports show in the morning.

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Take your own food and water! You'll thank me when you see the prices. also a backpack is a good idea!!!!

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I shoot a Darton cam 1/2...and "suffer from timing and set up problems" is bull...they suffer from timing problems if someone doesn't know how to set them up...I haven't had to time my bow in 3 years since the string settled...and I shoot the heck out of it...

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and it showed when we shot at the ti yogi shoot.....:biggrin1:

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That wasn't a timing issue...:doh:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes it was.......you wear'nt timming your release very well.....hahahahahaha:pound: