Bow hunting and scent protection

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by firechic, Sep 10, 2007.

1. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but...

So, I was wondering who actually believes in using a scent protection program? The guys at work asked me if I used any and when I said yes, they all kind of laughed at me, but they are all gun hunters. Only one of them uses a bow, and he told me to use Vanilla extract. So what I was wondering...

Is all the scent stuff just something else to sell or do you really need it when bow hunting?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Here's my scent controll.I put my hunting cloths day pack,gloves,sock hats/caps etc... out side and they don't come back in the house till last of Jan.I do use scent away bar soap to shower of a morning and a little bakeing soda.

3. Timmer

Timmer Member

My scent control involves washing my clothes periodically with Baking Soda. I then put them in a plastic container, sometimes with scent wafers in earth scent. Sometimes spray down with Scent Killer. More important is the wind direction. However I generally only hunt on 11 acres with up to 4 people at once. Deer don't always follow the same patterns or trails. It's more of a hit or miss situation. Public land I set up in regards to wind direction. My dad and brother in law even smoke on stand and still kill deer every year so I don't put a whole lot of stock in scent control where I hunt. It would be a much different story if I had control over the property and there was more of it.

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Well you tell them to try and take a deer with a bow with out scent control. and you'll see them getting a big fat zero on the deer count. Also, tell them that anyone can kill a deer at 100 or even 20yds with a gun. The real challenge is up close and personal. where you have to outsmart a deer while they are using all of there senses. Good luck with that. There using Vanilla for a cover scent that wont stop the deer from smelling you. Proper scent control is an excellent idea. What are you going to do when that dream buck walks out and winds ya. and no Bowman .. Not pull out the rifle and smoke it.. LOL !!! THe closer you can get them the better off your gonna be. And yes I do religously practice scent control.

5. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

scent control is more important than camo.... when they laugh ask why they buy camo clothing and sit in a deer blind with a rifle..... i have killed deer with my bow sitting under a tree in jeans and t-shirt .... look at wind, scent control.... i follow ichim2 ... mine go outdoors when season comes around.... depending on the area i am hunting.... break a cedar branch and throw in the bag, or a pine limb, or the dirt wafers all help.... and dont use regular soap when you take a shower or bath

6. I missed

I missed Senior Member

i feel its very important to use scent control i generaly use baking soda and scent killer

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I had a buddy that would put his clothes in a plastic bag with sage brush (that is what we hunted in) for a week or so before the season.

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

When I was in high school, we would wash or hunting stuff with acorns and feed corn...:doh:
    It seemed to work for us..

9. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

really..weeeiiirrrdddd

10. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I use the scent free wash and some carbon spray, i dont get to wild about it cause im a smoker, so pretty much after 1 smoke, you stink. Best scent controll is stay down wind, thats what i try to do, dont always work but its the best thing, i dont think anyone could be 100% scent free, everything smells odd to a animal, can you smell your bowstring wax, i can smell mine, and ill bet if a deer smells it, its gone, how bout your face and hands, your breath, ext...... what if you break a good sweat, well it will smell a bit pry. stay down wend as best as you can!! But every little thing you try to do helps.

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Wash all my cloths in sportsmans wash with UV killer about a week before season and then it gets stored in a black trash bag until season. I also use scent killer spray that smells like dirt.:dizzy: And then use different things for cover scent. Fox urine,vanilla,acorn scent. I also use attractant scents which I am not too sure about(whether they actually help??)

12. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

baking soda works well to eliminate odors that may be on your body as well as your stored clothes after the off season

13. jsharp

jsharp Junior Member

i use skunk scent or rub apples on me. i throw apples out on the ground and usually the second day they eat them then i put more out and rub it on me. last year i shot my deer at 5 yards. i started to put bow down and use my knife. and no where i hunt there are no apple trees but it does not seem to bother them.

14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Wash my clothes with Baking soda and hang outside to dry. I will keep my clothes outside for the rest of the season and in a sent lock bag on my way to the hunting grounds where I will change into them.

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Scent control is the most important thing that a bow hunter can do other than practice shooting. Oven at our best we still give off a smell no matter what. practice good scent elimination and hunt the wind.

16. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

I am a little obsessive when it comes to scent control, start to finish i try to be scent free, this includes washing my clothes in a scent eliminating detergent, or baking soda works fine, i then hang my clothes outside, they do not go back in for the rest of the season, even when i am going out to hunt, my clothes and boots are in the back of the truck in a scent lock bag, and i get dressed outside the truck, i also use scent away or dead down wind, all work fine. i am a firm believer of Base Slayers, Scent lock and 100% ruber knee high boots! I can't give up the skoal, but i spit in a bottle when i am in the tree.:tape:

17. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

I use baking soda for my clothes, then also use a scent killer on boots,clothes, etc. before going out. My wife wants me to use the scent killer all the time!! :noidea:

18. firechic

Thanks!

Hey thanks guys for all of the replys! I now have some other ideas to go on. Thanks!

19. firechic

Hey girls.... has anyone used the new Huntress stuff yet??

20. firechic