Bow Hunting Release Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bullfiddle, Nov 23, 2007.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

OK here's the deal. I switched my hunting release this year before Archery season. I used to shoot a barner rope release for years to hunt with and after I couldn't get the rope around my string fast enough last year to shoot a big doe I decided to retire it. I bought a Scott Little goose online and I just don't care for it. I got two issues with this release. First of all there is to much trigger travel for my liking and the trigger gets loaded up when you add the bow weight on it. So now I am in the market for a new release. I am looking for something with an adjustable trigger so I can set it as light or heavy as I want to. I would prefer to stay with a wrist strap but only a leather strap with a buckle. So feel free to make suggestions and convince me why I need to try the release that you are suggesting. I am not hung up on any brand names as long as it is dependable and functions the way it should......:peace:

2. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I was skeptical about using my carter thumb release for hunting but I love it. You can lock the release on the loop and it is ready to go. All I have to do is grab the bow off the ez hanger and everything is ready to go. No more fumbling trying to get the release on in a hurry.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Clover has a good point, make sure if you get a t-handle, that you can lock it on the string......

I use a Tru Ball Pro Diamond for 3d and tried it for the first time this year for hunting......and wont go back......I will be picking up a spare as soon as I find one.....

4. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I shoot a TRU BALL Copperhead Extra. It has the trigger up forward and it is adjustable. The nylon strp makes adjusting the length of the release easy. The only drawback is that it has the velco wrist strap. I put it on when I get out of the truck and tuck the release end in my wrist band of the jacket. It stays out of the way and no noise. JMO.

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Switch to a T-handle Bullfiddle. You'll thank me later...... unless you drop it after you get in your stand.....:laugh:

I started using one last year and I won't go back. I shoot with a T-handle so much when I'm not hunting, that switching to a wrist strap totally screws up my anchor and I'm not comfortable with it at all.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats what I was thinking.......:peace:

7. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I started shooting a BT release this summer. It was a little bit of a struggle but I only lost 2 arrows...:D I just don't have a thumb trigger release right now and I have always hunted with a wrist strap. When I take it off i buckle it to the limb of the bow. That's just one more thing I don't have to worry about leaving at the house. I know if I got my bow I got my release...:D

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I have a little goose and it has an adjustable trigger
    I use a itty bitty goose anfd it has tha same

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I actually have one of those beaner clips, the ones that rock climbers use, that I have attached to my carter release. When the bow and release are not in use I attach the clip to the wrist strap of the bow. I too was worried about losing it or misplacing it. But I have never had a problem.

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Can somebody clarify me how a thumb release works? I have one and ive tried it several times...it always seems like it is in my face and i can not hit the knob to let er' fly.. I am also shooting a loop, could that be the problem?

11. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If your looking for a good trigger, choose Carter releases.

If you want a good adjustable index finger release go with the Carter Quickie. Also, the Carter Two Shot is one of our most popular releases but it does not have adjustable springs like the Quickie. Both of these releases have zero trigger travel before they fire.

Now thumb triggers are great too. I hunt with a Carter Chocolate Lite. Again, you get adjustable triggers by changing springs and zero trigger travel. After spending all summer shooting back tension or thumb triggers, it's hard for me to shoot an index style release. It just feels strange to me.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

are you turning your hand around and placeing the back of your hand against your face??

13. Werd

Werd Senior Member

I think so