Bow string problem

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by peter_in_ireland, Aug 13, 2006.

1. peter_in_ireland

peter_in_ireland Junior Member

Bought my first bow this week but am having a problem with the bow string. After the arrow is released the bow string hits my bow hand below my thumb. Have tried experimenting to resolve this but have not been successful.

Could it my form is not right or a problem with string tension? Please help.

Regards,
    Peter

2. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

u need to buy a arm guard to put on ur fore arm it will keep you from getting bruises until u get ur form down u need to bend ur elbow a little when u shoot

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If the string is actually hitting your hand, I would bet there is something wrong with that bow. I have seem people hit their arm with the bow string but not their bow hand.

What type of bow is it?

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

there was once a hoyt bow called the.......I cant remember darned......that thing would hurt you something bad.....had a guy put a 1" overdraw on it and after two dozen shots or so the string would actually start to brake from contact w/the overdraw.......he decided to take the overdraw off and guess what wacked him in the hand a few times.......

Hey guys does anyone know how to say STS?:laugh:

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Something is definately wrong there if the string is contacting your hand I would think. Be careful and get that thing to the nearest pro shop.

After spending $630 on a bare bow I should not have to say STS:doh:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Hey pal and I mean that in a good way.......

I dont care if you spend 80 bizillion dollars, you still need to know how to say STS......and thats the bottem line cuz I said so......:laugh:

7. BowhuntnHoosier

Been hearing about the rubber ends of STS flying off and causing the string to hit steel rod and cutting it.:noidea: I heard the old STS was much better than the new. The bottom line is KNOW YOUR ROLL and SHUT YO PUNK MOUTH COZ I SAID SO.:laugh:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

guess i will stick with my old one just like you......OLD........:laugh: :laugh:

9. BowhuntnHoosier

I may be old but I am steady and reliable.:biggrin1:

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Back on topic here...

I would say that if the string is actually hitting your hand and not your arm...

Your bows is seriously messed up your you are holding onto the wrong part of the riser. Take a picture of you holding the bow and make sure we can see the string slap marks and we can go from there.

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hmm to be good or not :decision:

NOT! - Its a shame you need the help of a little blue pill to stay steady and reliable. :laugh:

12. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

NOT! - Its a shame you need the help of a little blue pill to stay steady and reliable. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: now thats funny

13. peter_in_ireland

peter_in_ireland Junior Member

Solution

Im a little embarrased but I found out what the problem was and will post my solution in case it helps other new people.

Basically, my hand position was wrong. Once I turned my hand slighly in the grip, the string stopped hitting my hand. The differnece this made to my accuracy is amazing.

Thanks for everyone who replied, at least I know where go if I need help.

seeyou.