Bow went completely out of tune in the middle of my shooting session

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

My bow went completely out of tune about 1/2 way through my shooting session today. I have been shooting VERY consistently. my field points were shooting exactly where my broadheads were at 10 yds. at 20 yds with my field points were an inch or less from my broadheads . 30 yds maybe 2-2 1/2" MAYBE. The last peep fix I made was about 3 days ago and I have had no problems at all. About half way through my session I shot 3 arrows in a row and they hit respectively together when I went back to shoot my next set the peep had almost completely went around and wayyyyyyy out of tune. after I fixed the peep about 90%. My arrows were all over the place, it was insane I shot about 50 more arrows and I cant get it retuned. I checked everything on my bow, all bolts, nuts, screws everything and NOTHING is out of the ordinary. my up and down shots WERE great then the all started shooting low, my windage was PERFECT and now the are 7-8" off in either direction. my field points were flying pretty good and my broadheads that were tuned to my field points started flying about 6 inches low and 5-6 inches left. Could my bow arm be majorily fatigued

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

From the sound of your peep suddenly moving I'd look the string over real good.

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

isnt your peep tied in? It shouldnt be moving.

4. Southernfryedyankee

it is tied in but it allmost completely rotated

5. Southernfryedyankee

I found this, could this be the cause?

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I would double check your anchor point......had this happen in a 5 spot leauge one time........

7. Southernfryedyankee

I have been anchoring the same way for the last couple of weeks 2 knuckles right under my earlobe

8. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I don't know if that caused it or not, but that shouldn't have happened.

Pm coming at ya.....

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Sounds to me like you might have a strand in your string or cable that has broken. I would second taking a close look at both of them.

10. Southernfryedyankee

I wonder if I damaged the cam when

my bow fell out of the tree. I hadnt had the new strings yet but it could be slicing into it. look at this picture and tell me your thoughts.

11. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Check the limbs for cracks. I dropped my bow one time and the limb hit a rock and splintered it badly on the edge.:doh:

12. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I didn't see those in the first picture. They look like they could be causing the serving damage. Best thing to do is remove the string and run a Q-tip over the scratches. If they catch cotton, then they need to be removed or a new cam bought.

13. Southernfryedyankee

I will do that ASAP. I may be able to go tuesday. Looks like its gonna be me and the 12 gauge huntin for awhile :frusty: :doh:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

at least your hunting.......:noidea:

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I was just going to say it sounds like some strands broke on your strings. Seen the same thing alot on even winners choice strings. wouldnt shoot it like that.

16. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I had something very similar happen to me several years ago. During a practice session my peep started rotating all of a sudden. Nothing consistent either. Arrows started hitting high. The peep was crazy. This only went on for three shots. On shot #4 everything blew apart, sh1t flying everywhere.

The string blew. I can't remember where the string broke. Whether around the cams or at the nocking point---don't remember. Taught me a valuable lesson. If the peep ever rotates on my Bucknasty strings or any others for that matter, I quit shooting, like right now.

17. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Looks like alot of string strtch to me, witch is sometimes normal, I dont think the burs on the cams will cause the stretch, but it will take its toll on the servings in a hury, then start on the strings,I would pull the string and see how long it is, and compare to what is should be, and also inspect it for any parts in that area that look cut or fryed. how do the timing marks on the cams look, I would check it out before shooting it anymore.

18. Southernfryedyankee

The timing marks are out of whack to