Bowfishing...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Anyone ever try it ?

I was invited onto some private property that has Mississippi River backwater access. When the river is up like it is now the carp run into the shallow areas that are normally dry. I guess you can just pick them off at will. I've seen the bowfishing stuff at the shop but I've never tried it before. It looks like it could be fun and smoked carp is excellent.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Ron

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

We have quite a few people come in the shop that shoot carp. It's a blast. The hard part is learning how to aim at them. You have to aim low to hit them. The refracted light makes the fish appear higher than they are.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, I was warned about the light refraction.
    I'm going to give it a try... I'm borrowing a bow from somebody that's already set up for it so I don't have to screw around with my bows...

Ron

4. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Bowfishing is a blast:biggrin1: ! I have done it for years. If you give it a try you will be hooked on it. I shoot out of my boat and am tired at the end of the day with so much shooting.

Mo.Hick

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

we have a few creeks and resivoirs that we do it here, all out of a boat...I cant wait for warm weather......and clean streams.....

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Sounds like alot of fun but you guys don't really eat those nasty fish......do ya???:noidea:

7. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Nope dont eat them. Use them for ditch art!:laugh:

Mo.Hick

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

my folks used ta eat em during tha deppression. My Papaw fixed me some and I ate it as aboy.It was priddy good. once ya get past tha thought.

Here is a new way to fix em.

Take a thin piece of cedar board and put a well cleaned carp on it and put it on tha grill at low heat and bast it with you favorite seasonin.
    when it is cooked take it off tha board and eat tha board.

this is a great way ta have some offseason hunting experience and it is a real good time. agian "aim low" HOLD ABOUT 6" UNDER THA FISH.

I use a recurve for this as it offers less chance for tha string ta catch on somethin'. Smokes

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I smoke carp in my smoker all the time since I know so many people who fish for them. It's outstanding. I have tried it grilled and I don't like it...

Ron

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so you throw the fish away and eat the smoker right????

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Your not being very nice today..............................now go to the corner and think about what you have done young man.:nono:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

13. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Innocience is so much bliss BHH

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Not exactly... The smoker would be too tough to chew.

Ron