bowtech question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by aljo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. aljo

aljo New Member

i was going over the new posts today when something caught my eye. someone said diamonds a single cam and bowtechs a cam and 1/2. i'm looking at my new 82nd right now, and i swear it has 2 cams. bowtech calls it the "binary cam " system, binary meaning two. just looking for a little clairification here. whatever we decide to call these cams, i love this bow.

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

The 82nd is a cam and 1/2 as are the other bowtech models.

Binary is Bowtech's marketing term for 'slaving' the cams together with 2 control cables into a single mechanical 'unit' that reduces, or in their words, eliminates cam timing problems.

There is no point in losing sleep over it. I have an 82nd and it's sweet and FASSSSST !

Ron

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

The binary cam is not a typical 2 cam system. They are slaved together similar to a cam 1/2 system which helps keep them in sync. There are not a lot of traditional two cam systems still out there but there's a few.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Right....

Ron

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

welcome.......and yeah, what they said:peace:

6. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

I can't speak for the full Bowtech spectrum but on an 07 Commander the cams are an exact mirror image of each other. This basicaly means that they have to machine two different cams and their related modules.

They got smart on the 08 General, and possibly other models, both cams are exacty identical. Now instead of making two different parts they make just one and flip it over for the other end of the bow.

There is a reason they are where the are.

7. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

This is a twin cam setup
    View attachment 10242

And Binary
    View attachment 10243

Though I'm not really sure what the fundamental difference is between a hybrid cam and binary cam....or even the fundamental difference between Cam and 1/2. Maybe some simple diagram like one of the above from someone that knows? (or a link)?