Bowtech University

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, May 1, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Here are pictures from our trip to the Bowtech University. Talk about a first class operation. The people were great and I think I gained 5 lbs from all the great food we had. You for sure will not go hungry. We saw all aspects of Bowtech. We traveled to multiple buildings and saw everything from building of limbs to machining to camo dipping to final assembly and inspection. Also got to see the string building and R&D departments. These folks are high-tech for sure. I had no idea they built their string to such tight tolerances.

Bet you've never seen these bows in these finishes...
    82nd Airbornes... No, these are one of a kind and you can't get them. Well, hopefully they will take our advice and produce them for 2009

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Chris

The 4 start General in digital camo and black limbs and allegiance in Black ghost flame

3. archerykid12

archerykid12 New Member

i need one of those that green one looks sick i hope they make those next year

4. Chris

They called this spiderman

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats a NEW General???

I dont remember the General being that Parallel???

6. archerykid12

archerykid12 New Member

ok now that spiderman commander is awesome so which one did you get

7. Chris

Pink Camo, the pictures do not do this bow justice.

8. Chris

Here's some more bows

9. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

They look awesome... :bowl:

10. Chris

Here's some pictures of the tour at the various facilities.

Outside the plant. limb pictures of blanks and machined limbs.

11. Chris

Horizontal CNC Machines with Tombstone centers and FlowJet water cutting machine

12. Chris

more pics of machined parts. That is the Blue Flame that is for the Europe distributor. Much nicer than the picture shows.

13. Chris

Here's more picts. These show the bow building stations. I thought I could build a bow pretty quickly. These people are fast, effecient and accurate. They have it down to a science thats for sure. They had different presses for different stations. It depended on they type of bow your were building.

14. Chris

more coming in a bit

15. Chris

Well, the auctioned them off. I didn't buy anything. As much as I wanted one of the green ones, they went for WAY to high of price. Some went for almost double retail.:Cry:

16. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I have run one of those Flow waterjets before......Very cool

17. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i really liked the general i came real close to buying one before i bought the drenalin.

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what did the money go to???:noidea:

19. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Someone has to pay for setting up the dipping process. :laugh:

20. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

The 5th axis version is very sweet. It can reduce machining by a lot by shaping the cutouts a bitmore. I don't know their max thickness allowance on 6061-T6, though.

I did a bit of worth with an aircraft & automotive OSM several years ago and they used a forge/cast method for mass producing things like bow risers. It worked a lot like die casting...but the fully annealed Al was in a superviscous solid state, so it broke up the dendratic structure to make it tougher. They finished up with a moderate heat treatment and the parts had a brilliant finish and good mechanical properties. Only draw back is that 30% of the parts got melted down again (high reject rate) and the dies cost a fair amount to make because of the high pressure involved. That said, though, the Al recycling of 30% was still cheaper than machining the parts, with a finish as smoother or better, and generally superior strength.

Which makes me wonder...what sort of volumes do they make of each riser, Chris? i.e. a full production run of the Commander riser would be X many before they mod the design?