broadhead question,? help please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Werd, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Werd

Werd Senior Member

i have a question about broadheads. First off, I shoot rage now. I don't really see a difference in damage except for the entry and exit hole. Secondly, i want to get new broadheads that dont cost a-ca-zillion $ for 3 heads. I was looking at crimson broadheads. The black mamba. Is this a good head or should i stay away.? or could anybody else tell me what broadhead under 30$ that will do the job well.

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I would say Muzzys. They are time proven and affordable.:peace:

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

NO! Mambas are JUNK!!!

Dont shoot the mambas! They have some kind of cam system that is junk! If anything shoot the cudas. They are an over the top o-ring style and they claim to have a 1 3/4" cutting diameter. Stay away from the MAMBAS! I threw my cousins in the trash last year and bought him some muzzys, he only shoots 43 lbs. at a 26" draw!:doh: My broadhead of choice is the G5 Tekan-II, I bought the extended cut blades so they are cut 1.5" instead of 1 5/16". My brother loves his rage 3 blade, but I am sticking with my Tekans!

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

I like rage....buttttttttttttttttttttt 39$ for 3..hmm little wallet breaker. then to add on here, ive seen better with regular over the top...i dont know. how much are muzzys..arnt they fixed blades? and how much are tekan ll?

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I'm going to make a long explaination longer and see who agrees with me.

As we all know one of the important things about a broadhead is that it align with the shaft to help ensure good flight. I only ever make up 3 arrows for hunting. Never needed more than that---ever.

For this simple reason I prefer two heads on the market. Muzzy and InnerLoc. They are nearly clones of each other. When put on a shaft and aligned with that shaft they stay that way. I never remove them unless I change to a different shaft down the road. There's no reason to remove the ferrule from the shaft. To change blades you just screw off the tip and slide new ones in.

Now how is this important? Well, not all the time does a ferrule, once removed, line up the same way when reinstalled. With these two heads you don't have to mess with the integrity of that alignment. And I leave them on the shaft from year to year to year. The only thing I do is change out the blades for practice or hunting, whichever is applicable.

The ones I use are 75gr, but that is of little consequence. They are both fairly narrow heads so don't have tendency to windplane as easily and less cutting diameter assures better penetration from a given setup than a larger head. And for what it's worth, I don't think any animal I ever shot knew that the cutting diameter was 1 1/8" vs 1 1/2" or whatever. In the boiler and the job is complete.

Cost? Try something like $25 to $30 per half dozen. Enough to last me a decade. I just buy a couple packs of extra blades with the heads. The ones in the pack are practice. So for the price of 3 mechanical heads I have enough to last 10 years.

And I don't have to worry about what's the latest and greatest over that time. I'd rather spend the money saved on good quality arrows in the first place or a good set of custom strings.

6. OA3D

OA3D Member

IMO Muzzy or G5 Montecs. I'm kinda personal to 3 fixed blades.
    I have new arrows to cut and will set my inserts so my blades and vains align.

Of your choices I won't ever shoot Crimson Talons. If after 2 shots of each head 2 had broken blades on a block target....would you keep shooting them?

7. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

I shoot the tekan II and they run 34.99 for a three pack. But they are STEEL! not Aluminum! So they are very durable. I carry three with me into the timber and have never need more. They also sell replacement blades if needed. I won't touch mine w/o gloves or they'll cut the :censored: out of you. I also believe muzzy heads are good. but you get what you pay for. I'll pay an extra $5.00 for a 20 yard tracking job!

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Would it be possible for you to explain how that head alone will give a 20 yd death please. Tkx Smokes

9. OA3D

OA3D Member

Put it in the right spot one (not me) could get a 20 yd kill with a field point.

10. Cablegaurd21

Listen, I knew someone would freak out if I said it. But the only reason I say that is because ever since I've switched to Tekan II's I've shot three deer. Not one of those deer ran more than 20yds before flopping over. two were heart and lung hits, one was off the wall shot but the damage inside was extensive. That may not be b/c of the Broadhead or it might be I don't know. All I know is what I've seen with my own two eyes. Swear to God man.:D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

No doubt I take you at your word and see it feasible from tha shoots you have described.
    Could one say if he had shot one thu tha heart only or liver or even 10 deers killed that this is a standard rule for this good head then I am sure we will all be droolin' to have that head for a mere $5 more
    :peace:

12. Cablegaurd21

I'll get back to you in 7 more deer!:biggrin1:

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

20 yards? wow... thats impressive. I'll take a dozen! I've seen deer get hit with a shotgun slug go 40+ yards with a hole the size of a baseball in their vitals..

14. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I've heard people say their deer they double lunged ran 150 yards. NO FN way! If you hit a deer good with a quality, sharp broadhead anywhere in a 6" circle you can count on a 50 yard recovery. Every deer I have seen shot well didn't make it 50 yards. I also shoot the tekan-II's and I have had to 35-40 yard recoveries, one heart and lung shot and the other smoked both lungs. :noidea: The tekans are proven performers!

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Indians killed animals with sharpened pieces of flint.

Any broadhead put in the correct spot will kill a deer quickly. The most important factor for me is flight. Some fly like crap. They all kill.

16. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

I shoot muzzys and haven't had an issue with them. I actually really like them!:biggrin1:

17. Werd

Werd Senior Member

OBJECTION! i shot a deer 2 years ago, 4 point to be exact, with a 20 gauge with 2 3/4 shell double lung perfect broadside about 70 yards and he ran 450 yards. i think it was 449 on the rangefinder. now you explain that? Blood was absolutely everywhere. it was insane

18. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Who are you objecting to?:noidea:

19. Cablegaurd21

Listen Guys, I'm not a G5 rep. I don't get paid a single dollar if I tell you they are good. I could care less what Broadhead you buy. But I was giving you guys my TRUE and HONEST first had accounts. I have no reason to lie. and believe me I can't stand an exaggerator ethier! So please, if you don't believe me thats fine, no skin off my nose just don't assume I'm telling a lie. Thanks.

P.S. My secret is that all the deer I shoot are depressed and have no will to live. So after I shoot them they just say oh well it was a good life, and die.:laugh:

20. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

The wife shot a buck last year that ran a good 150 yds after a 30 yd double lung shot. It does happen...it is how ever far they can run in 30 seconds before they expire! I can provide lung pics if ya like..