broadhead selection

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by chevyguy619, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chevyguy619

chevyguy619 New Member

I am shooting godtip expediton hunter 5575 that are 27 5/8" from the base of the knock to the end of the arrow (without a tip on) I already bought 85 grain spitfires and was wondering now if they are to lite. I would rather not buy more broadheads if this setup is going to work just fine. Also I am shooting 63lbs. Will this setup be ok for hunting whitetail?

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

How much weight is on the other end? What fletching are you using? Do you plan on lighted nocks? If you have feathers of any lenth, or vanes that are not overly heavy it should probably be fine. Someone here can surely help you with the FOC calculations.
    OK here some reading on arrows. There is an FOC diagram in there.
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide4.htm

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008

3. chevyguy619

chevyguy619 New Member

Ok I figured out my foc. Still not exatlty sure what this does. And with 85 grain tips it is 7.76%. Gold tip recommends between 8% and 12%. Is this going to be okay? With a 100 grain tip it would be 9.43%. Is this a big deal, or is the 7.76% just fine?

4. chevyguy619

chevyguy619 New Member

ok scratch that i forgot to figure in the insert weight, but i'm not sure what insert i have, but the lowest one goldtip lists is 15 grains, which would bring me to 100grain total tip weight and 9.43% foc, so I think i'm in the clear.