broadheads for youth

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by ldavis512, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ldavis512

ldavis512 Junior Member

hey fellas I have a question for someone to help me with. my soin shoots a bowtech blackhawk at 45lbs. he wants to shoot rage mechanicals but im not sure if his bow is "strong enough" for them. anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

stick w/ cut on contacts like muzzy. though he could use them... mechanicals need alittle more kinetic energy to make sure they open all the time. and if you hit bone at 45 lbs. do you have enough oomph.. to pass through bone and try to open a broad head? I got my son to stick with muzzy's till he can shoot 60lbs. just imo.

3. ldavis512

ldavis512 Junior Member

thats what i was thinking but figured id ask someone who knew more than me. Thanks pinwheel:D

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

mechnicals!

Ya stay away from them unless he's shooting atleast 220
    Thats what my son was shooting when he started using mechnicals at age 16
    He took his first deer at 13 with a browning micro-midas 45lb shooting thunderhead 80gr with 1913 eastons a big doe at 19yds almost a passthru with fletching hanging out the other side.:biggrin1:

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

ummm...i dont know. its deciveing. i shot my first deer with an over the top expandable and i didnt get a pass threw but it was out the other end. and that was with 45lbs at 25 yards. i would get him rages but dont expect pass threws. because of rages they arnt really and expandable...(you kno what i mean)..give it a try.

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Fixed Blades

Until you get in the upper speed range 240+ fixed blades are the way to go. You shouldn't notice any difference in flight between broadheads and field points at lower speeds. Stick with fixed for a couple more years.

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

what about Tekin 2? The blades do not swing out. They slide back and out.

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I shoot tekans and they work great, Rage are the same kinda deal. I would just stick with fixed until you get at least in the 55-60lb range, depending on draw length.

9. ldavis512

ldavis512 Junior Member

thanks guys:biggrin1: This is why i love this place so much useful info.

10. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I agree totally!