Broadheads

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Michael_Swisher, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Michael_Swisher

Michael_Swisher New Member

So this is my first year hunting with bow and i was wondering if anyone knew the best place to buy fixed broadheads and if so how much are they there.
    And if anyone knows where to get free broadheads please post the link.

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Nothing worthwile is free Michael. But look no further than this site's host.
    http://www.obsessionarchery.com/broadheads-c-40.html
    Muzzy, Magnus, or Slick tricks.
    You ought to tell us what bow and set-up you going after them with though, it might make a difference. And Welcome. :wave:

3. Michael_Swisher

I have a Spyder Ase i think is what it is and i am shooting a sportsmans lite arrow with blazer spines :wave: Thanks

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

OK, so it's a PSE Spyder, arrows are ?sportmans? (who makes them) with Blazer vanes. What lbs is the bow, 50-60, 60-70? What draw lenth is it? Are there any numbers on the arrow shafts? Like 400, 340, etc? What kind of a release are you using? Wrist strap Index finger? Using a D-loop? Any fixed blade broadheads from the manufacturers I listed should do the trick. They all have a heathy track record. I'm just curious on what your set-up is.

5. Michael_Swisher

Sportsman's Warehouse arrows my draw is about 46in my release is a index finger release the poundage on my bow is 40 i hope this helps you out red:wave:

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

Your draw lenth is 46? Typo? How about 26". So 40lb draw weight, and 26" draw lenth, with an index finger realeas. Thats helpful. I would recomend the Magnus 2 blade Stinger. Then it's all about location buddy. Accuracy really matters, as does being patient and waiting for broadside or slight quartering away shot. You need to get both lungs or heart/lung to put them down quickly. Tuck a Stinger right in that crease behind the front leg and you should hear him drop.

7. Michael_Swisher

i Live in Oregon and i am hunting the Winahaw unit thanks for the help red:wave:

8. red44

red44 Senior Member

Go get em kid, keep an eye of for one of them there sasquatches!

9. Michael_Swisher

Thanks Red the only things dangerous Ill be seeing is my giant 5X5 deer after I kill it :lol: :rockon:

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

46" draw?!? Man, your arms are LONG! lol jk.

11. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Thunderhead 100 grain. About 35.00 for 6. Replacement blades are about 15.00. I only destroyed one out of the 6.

12. red44

red44 Senior Member

40lbs and 26" DL, thats why I suggested a 2 blade. He needs to get full chest width penetration, I'm not sure a thunderhead will get him that. I doubt he'll get a pass through, but at least if he can touch ribs on the far side the critter will be DOA.

13. Michael_Swisher

I went shooting today and got some 90 grain muzzys 6 for 36 bucks. Today was the first day of shooting that new bow and i have a group with it which is about 1 foot.:rockon: :D