broadheads

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Werd, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Werd

Werd Senior Member

im trying to prove somebody wrong. He uses the silver strike 2 or sumthing like that from walmart. 3 of them for like 9 bucks. now hes telling me ill get more deflection off a rage then he will with them expandables. no matter how much i argue he seems likes rage suck and they are the only broadheads on the market lol. i keep telling him to switch but he wont believe me they are 10 times better

2. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

Rage

Well if he's buying them for walmart there's the first clue. Then the price is another. JUNK!!!!! You get what you pay for. He might not get any deflection but the broad head might disintegrate when it hits a front shoulder of a 200lb brute. Let him think what he wants. Rage in my opinion is definitely one of the top mechanicals. I watch the drury brothers shoot several nice bucks from steep angles and they didn't have any troubles.

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Don't worry about what your buddy says, he isn't very smart!:crazy: Just know when he calls you to help him track a deer you better take some comfortable boots, because that deer he shot with a $3 broadhead will be running for days!!!!:doh:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I got some info from a very high up in wally world regarding ammo, (when they still sold it)

the reason they got their ammo so cheap was they bought the SECONDS.....the stuff that has too much or too little powder.....in his words "its just bullets, who cares??"

what the ammo companies do is weigh each box of shells, if its not within a few grains of the "good" stuff, the box it as seconds, then they ship these boxes to the big box stores....

so I wonder if its the same w/broadheads and arrows?? oh and how about the ladders we useto get up to our stands??

I am just as guilty of buying at Wally's Workshop as the next person......usaually juice and cereal......I havea 2 year old, you cant keep enough of this stuff in the house....and its cheap.....

but we dont buy meat, produce, or dairy from wally world, have you ever seen the butcher shop at wally world?? thats right you havent, they dont have one......

we get our meat-produce and dairy from the local guys, where we know them personally, plus the quality is a huge difference......well worth every extra penny we spend.......

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I saw those silver strike broahdeads at Walmart this past weekend. The blades don't look thicker than a few sheets of aluminum foil.
    I would not trust those things to use for hunting.

Yes, the comment you get what you pay for is very true in our sport especially.

I worked in grocery retail IT supply chain for several years.

Believe me, meat from Walmart is NOT what you think it is. I'll leave it at that... They are figuring out produce though. I have bought some fruit at the local one here that has been excellent. Meat ? Forget it...

Ron

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Bowman, come on now! Seconds on ammo, you have got to be kidding! I buy 90% of my ammo at walmart, haven't had any trouble. My .308 shoots great with walmart winchester ammo, and I buy all my shotgun shells at wally world, never had any kind of problem with faulty ammo!! Mabey your right, but I have never heard that. Our walmarts in central IL still carry ammo, I know a guy that works at the RK store across the road from walmart so now I get a discount on ammo over there! $13 for 20 .308 rounds is better than $22 for 20:rockon: As for the arrows, I agree, anyone buying arrows needs to have them cut to length for their DL etc.. Next time your at walmart ask someone in sporting goods about cutting your arrows and installing inserts. :doh: :doh:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  7. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I only go to wally world once a year to buy lead painted toys for all the good little girls and boys.:censored:

I hate that place, I would rather spend the extra dollar on something than to deal with all the idiots stopping in the midde of the isle.

Have him take his wally world special broadheads out to the range and see if they'll fly straight. bet they don't :cool:

8. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I don't by much of anything from wally world...but i am going to miss their guns.Their going to stop selling them (all ready have in some of the area stores)....except for muzzleloaders.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'm kind of like most of you on Wal-Mart...
    I buy cheap necessities there and that's about it.
    I'd rather support the smaller retailers since the long-time retailer that I was involved with executive leadership in was in part pushed out of business by Wal-Mart... Wal-Mart did part of the job, the labor unions did the rest.

Ron

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

yea...and no whoever said that walmart ammo works. i can shoot rotweiliers out my 12 and then shoot the "slug" out of it. what a difference.

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Man the Walmarts in our area carry nice stuff. They have alot of stands like gorilla, ameristep, they carry rocky's, naps, and muzzys too. They also carry a nice line of scents from tinks, HS scents, xtreme scents to scent killer. Though I dont buy my broad heads from there. I do by alot of stuff. I think your district managers are golfers or something.. LOL

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

My friend shoots these broadheads also. He makes great money but wont spend any of it to get quality stuff. He buys bolts for his cross bow and pays 24 dollars for 6.

My point...... He shots close and has yet to shot at a living thing. this year will tell how well they work, after a few hours of looking for a deer shot poorly with a dull broadhead we will see if he is willing to spend a few more dollars on his gear.

13. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Our local super center has every thing you've mention.Let me back peddle.When i said i didn't buy much their i ment no name brands.I do buy my realtree camo their and last year right before christmas i bought 3 ameristep climbers for 40$ apeice.And i get my fresh earth spray scent and soap there.We buy a few things there ( not groceries) and we've bought several guns there.

14. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I bought some Muzzy's from Wal-Mart the other day. Sure hope they are as good as the Muzzy's at Bass Pro or Cabela's:cool:

I will say the Allen broad heads from Wal-mart are junk. Try to group a set of those.....

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

LOL !! I bought some of those allens for my son too. Blades broke on every one on a block target. I get him a set of the Muzzy 3 blades there. And they are working very nicely so far. No issue's.

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Wally world!

Ya need to come down to the wallyworld in Va!
    The ones down here carry everything!
    They even sell MUZZYS and Knight muzzleloaders
    I bought a Browning Bar-5 in 7mm one of the finest shooting rifles i own!
    Stop pickin on Wally world!
    Just dont buy none of the toys with lead paint on them!:lol:

17. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Anybody that has dealt with Wal-Mart or Sams will tell you that they beat the crap out of you to get the lowest price. Allot of suppliers will take a loss, but hope to make small profits on the volume of sales or scared to loose the business to their competitors.

Not everything you buy from there is crap and you don’t always get what you pay for. If it’s a trusted brand, chances are it’s a good and true product.

18. Werd

Werd Senior Member

^^^true...but im saying mostly deflection is the problem. my dad has used them for 20 years. but the key is he had an older bow..now he got the 2004 hoyt..(ultra mag i think) and they werent opening. so we went to rages

19. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

With three kids we go to wally land at least once a week. Never buy fresh produce or meat there it just looks rotten and smells alittle. Most of the other stuff though, like household items, is so much cheaper that we pretty much have to go there. I buy some camping gear there, I haven't looked at hunting equip yet. I agree though that if it is a good name it will still be good quality.

20. Werd

Werd Senior Member

ya i think im gonna try muzzies next year. im trying out rages right now. anybody think of sumthing else other than muzzies. what about anything from crimson. talon or crocs or sumthings