Broken cable

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by phillip, Apr 26, 2007.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

:hello guys!
    Question for you folks. I was out shooting today and my cabel broke.
    It got me a trip to the emergency room and 7 stitches to my left forearm.
    The cabel looked to be in good shape, i always inspected these things before i shoot. this one broke right at the cam.:doh:
    Has anyone ever had somthing like this happen to them or even recall hearing about this type of thing?

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

ouch !! sorry to hear about that.. Never had a cable fail on me. Had a string pop off before. Never nothing like that. Is the cable old? New ? what brand.. Just curious if a warranty is to be involved?

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes...
    Gander Mountain mis-adjusted the draw stop post on my Diamond Victory which caused the cam to over-rotate and eventually broke the cable. It was one of the scariest things I ever had happen. The bow basically exploded.

Good news is that Diamond/Bowtech replaced all the parts except for the riser so I basically got a new bow out of it.

Ron

4. phillip

phillip Hog wild

The cabel was not old as for as i can tell, I bought the bow from gander mountin though. I guess the best thing to do is when buying a new bow is to have it gone over by your local archery guru.

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap. These things do happen but not often (fortunately). I imagine you're going to put a new cable on, but do some inspecting first.

Look for a burr or other sharp spot on the cam or module (usually the module) that may be cutting the cable.

6. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Another reason to get bows at the pro shop. Even then you are at the mercy of whoever is on duty. Some of the guys at my local shop I will only let do very minor things. They screw up timing, level, ect. A couple are great. About a hour 15 minutes away we got a place that when you walk out, your bow is perfect. They fix the screw ups of others, and often don't charge a thing for fixing mistakes on bows purchased elsewhere. They reallly are a great store, and deserve the following they have. After a experience like that, you make the trip several times a year and they become your archery store of choice. Prices are very competative. And if you don't see it in the catalog, they probobly still have it in the warehouse. They are Lancaster Archery, in Lancaster Pa. Check out the website, get a catalog.
    I am only a loyal customer. I only wish I was closer. Maybe I should move.

7. GANDEE

GANDEE Junior Member

i had a oneida eagle string break on me one time,it didn't cut me but it sure did leave a mark,

8. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I must have been very lucky. I bought a used Martin and broke 2 cables in one day. No damage to me or the bow. I later found out that they were original, 9 years old. I guess that they should be changed sooner. :doh:

9. phillip

phillip Hog wild

I took the bow to my local archery guru and after looking it over he told me the serving was not long enough where the cable looped around the cam causing it to make contact with the sharp edge. After having a new cable installed im up and going.
    This is one good reason to inspect equipment often.:thumb: