BT question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jdawg240, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

So I want to play with the big boys...I picked up a true ball BT release today.

I have shot it for a few hours now and have it down pretty good. My question is how much travel should I have in it?? Should I keep practiceing with a bunch of travel and slowley developed the skill of shooting off my back muscles alone??? I had to show the guy at the shop how it worked...All the shops around me are 100 percent hunting. Any tips??? I have to turn it a little at full draw to get it to go off. My muscles alone wont do it..Does this mean I have to much travel in the release???

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I started long as well, and have cut the travel down to about 50% of where it was. Make a section of rope to test it with. Don't just adjust and try to shoot the bow!!!!! A little adjustment goes a long way!

3. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

Ditto that, it ain't worth a black eye.:doh: I would start with a rope for at least a week before you try it with your bow. When I started shooting BT, I had my release set real slow...sometimes I couldn't get it to fire. But I worked with it, and now, I shoot them set "hot" and it works good for me that way.

4. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Anyone ever have wrist pain from shooting a BT release??? I shot mine a bunch this past weekend and now I cant even think about it. My wrist is killing me????????:noidea: :Cry:

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I would set it long. Proabably where it takes you 7-8 seconds to fire after you reach your anchor.

6. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

This is a VERY bad habit to develop.

It defeats the purpose of back tension. The whole idea is a surprise release. If you learn a way to manipulate it to go off you will eventually firgure out a way to punch it. If you can't do it by squeezing the muscles in your back you are doing it wrong and need more practice.

You will not learn correct back tension in a few hours. It will take weeks.
    I've been shooting back tension for about a year and still don't have it down fluidly.

The pain in your wrist is an indicator you're using the release wrong.

The first thing you should do is make a training device using a string loop the length of your DL and practice getting the release to go off using back tension. Forget about hooking up to a bow for a couple weeks.
    As far as travel goes, set it light while you're shooting off the string. As you learn how using your back muscles works the release add more tension to it. You really won't know how you like it set until you start shooting your bow. then you will figure out what it comfortable for you.

Once you think you're ready for the bow, blank bale shoot. Forget about sights and aiming. Just work on your form. It's crucial with back tension.

Spend the time to learn it the correct way and it will pay dividends in the future. Just not tomorrow.

7. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

It is going to take you a lot longer to master that sucker....don't get frustrated and stick with it. But don't be suprised if it takes a few months to really shoot it consistently!

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

A BT release requires a commitment. You have to put everything else away and just make your mind up your gonna shoot it. I have been shooting mine since last summer. I have tried a few other releases and I keep going back to it. I have made my mind up though now that I am gonna learn to shoot it and learn to shoot it well if it kills me...:D