Bummer

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hook Em, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

So I am home for lunch today and Pink goes into the garage to get on the treadmill...she comes back in and says it smells like somebody died in there...

guess what it was?

nah..I will just tell you. One of the kids knocked over a toy and turned the switch off on the freezer. All our meat was thawed and wrotting...about 50 lbs of deer sausage along with steaks/chicken/burger/etc....

Good thing it is time to fill the freezer again!!!

2. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

I hope you get some good size deer to fill that freezer back up! Then get some kind of kid proof accident proof plug in system, or a battery back up. :laugh: Seriously though, I hope you get it filled back up.

3. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

ohhh man that sucks, ive been though that, lost 2 deer and an elk about 5 years ago, power went out and when it came on, it triped the breaker on the outlet... dont need to say how :censored: :censored: i was..... I washed it out real good, then lined everything with newspaper on the inside, and put a small can off coffee grounds in the center and closed the door, for a day, then changed the paper and coffee for the next day, did this4 times, and the rotten smell was totaly gone out of the freezer.

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

50# of deer sausage...that sucks.My brother and his wife went on vacation for 3 wks here while back and he flipped the wrong breaker off before leaving and the temps were in the 90's....well....i'm not going to say what was in his freezer when he got home.To say it was bad is a Big under statement.Had to buy a new freezer.Opening the lid once was enough.:tape:When we took it to the land field the guy said we had to take the lid off and we told him....you take it off.:lol:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

nothing like closing the freezer door and not having it seal... :(

6. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

been there done that I put a latch on the freezer door so I know it's shut I also taped the switch so it won't turn off

7. Hook Em

yeah...I had the power strip tucked under the freezer, but it worked its way out and one of the kids' toys actually fell perfectly on the on/off switch (still laying on it when we found it). It has since been taken off the power strip and plugged directly into the extension cord.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That stinks... Literally.

I had a 5 pound ham roll off the freezer shelf a couple of years ago while I was out of twon. It hit the inside of the door and nudged it open a few inches. This was in April and I was working in Chicago all week so I was not home until the weekend. I had some stuff that was questionable but the whole inside of the freezer was solid frost... The garage at the time was detached and by a wooded area so the air around there was always on the humid side. I've never seen anything like that before. It was almost funny.

I lost the ham and some ground deer meat in the door shelves but thank goodness 90% if it was fine. I just had to 'de-frost' all the packages with some warm water and a towel.

It was a good excuse to clean the freezer out good too.

Ron

9. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

We have had that happen twice and I know how bad it sucks. Well, make sure you fill all the tags this year, lord knows you have the room to store it.

10. Hook Em

Amen brother...got freezer space galore!

11. Hook Em

I also failed to mention that I did save 1 5lb tube of Jalepeno/Cheese venison summer sausage and 5lbs of venison snack sticks. They were still cold enough to throw over into the fridge.

12. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I am going home to check mine now, your scaring me.
    I just purchased a pig and put him in the deep freeze. I also raised fifty chickens that found they way into the deep freeze a couple of weeks ago.]
    I would hate to loose all that.:Cry:

13. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Similar thing happened to me. I came home from my bear hunt in Maine. Got home about 3 am, went into the garage to put my meat in the freezer and when I opened it I got a real smelly surprise. I lost 1/2 a hog and 1/2 a deer and a whole bunch of other not so important :biggrin1: meat. I had to buy a new freezer.:frusty: :frusty:

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Don't let the freezer paper touch your tongue...
    :frusty:

Ron

15. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

That's a Bummer!!:doh:

Now go Fill'er up:cool:

Dan