Camo for hardwood tree stand hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BuckeyeRed, Jun 12, 2008.

camo for hardwood treestand hunting

Poll closed Nov 9, 2008.
  1. Predator Fall Gray

3.7%
  2. Predator Brown

11.1%
  3. Realtree AP

37.0%
  4. Mossy Oak Tree Stand

48.1%
  1. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Looking to get some new gear for this fall and trying to decide which camo will work best 20ft up in hardwoods? My narrowed selection is....

1. Predator Fall Gray
    2. Predator Brown
    3. Realtree AP
    4. Mossy Oak Treestand

I haven't seen any black and white pics of the AP or MO ts. anyone have pics?

Opinions?

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I'd go with the Predator, however which one would depend on your surroundings. Against the sky, probably the grey. Against a hillside probably the brown. :noidea:

3. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

Predator Brown is without question the most versatile of the patterns. It's light enough in spots to blend in well year round on stand or on the ground.
    The Fall Gray is a solid choice as well. A bit lighter than the Brown.

FWIW I have a mix of Gray, Spring Green and some Deception. The Brown could replace a good protion of what I have.

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

ASAT is a very good all round camo

5. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

You have to remember that camo manufacturer's make all this pretty camo to look good to hunters. Deer see camo different from humans. This is why "camo" blaze orange works. All we really need to do is break up our outline, so which you choose really boils down to what you like the best. I personally use MOBU mostly because I like the dark and light gray tones that I think blend in with the trees, I also use the AP too, again the gray's play a big part. Get what you like and don't worry about what other hunters think!

6. buccaneerbowhunter

buccaneerbowhunter Junior Member

camo options

I like leafy suits as a first choice, just to break up the human outline. Then I like ASAT as a pattern. I chose between an ASAT leafy suit and Predator fall (non-leafy) after seeing the versatility photos on both companies' websites. I have several other camo patterns which will be covered with the ASAT leafy suit, likely for everything I hunt this year when I'm not in my dome blind.

7. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I've been using MO BU and have been busted by doe 3 diff.times last yr., up wind, no movement, nothing. Just was looking for some testimonials was all. I am leaning towards Predator Fall Brown...

8. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Nothing wrong with the predator line of camo, it has a good open design that a lot of people seem to like and it works for them.

What are you washing your hunting close in? :confused: Deer see UV and if the detergent you are useing has UV brightners in it that may be a contributing factor to getting busted and no camo change will help. Just an idea.

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I like Realtree............:rockon:

10. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Been using scent blocker carbon wash, says no UV brighteners.

11. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

Realtree Hardwoods HD:rockon: :peace:

12. archerybuff

archerybuff Junior Member

You might want to give Nat Gear a look. I have yet to find anywhere that Nat Gear wouldn't work extremely well. The more I use it the more I like it.

13. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Do Work!

Treestand

I havent gotten any MossyOak Treestand in yet, but I think it's gonna be a great pattern for whitetail hunting once the leaves are gone. I plan on owning some of it for this fall....
    That being said, my favorite pattern for treestand hunting once the leaves hit the ground is MossyOak Brush, yeah I know it's made for western hunters but I've had great luck with it in a treestand over the past 3 or 4 years. It's amazing how well it blends in with a tree trunk.

14. Holy Smokes

15. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I only use mossy oak break up. I haven't been spotted in my stand, that I know of, yet. I've had deer stare at me from less than 10 yards. Some garmets have been treated with UV Killer after checking them with a black light for the "blue glow". Just my experience.

16. Holy Smokes

thats THA STUFF

17. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

all i use is the predator fall brow deception, great stuff, use it for elk hunting, timber areas, open sage areas, also for deer in wooded areas and for antilope in feilds and flat lands, it really breaks up your body well. I like it!!

18. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I like realtree hardwoods HD

19. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

+2 .............

20. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

the material is much more important than the pattern!

has to be waterproof

cant fade period

burr resistant

quiet at cold temps

cut for movement.

I use the new Mossy oak Treestand, scentblocker outifitter!