Campers

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by goldflinger, Mar 6, 2008.

1. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

The wife and I are looking to upgrade campers this summer. Any body have any experience with the expanable campers. The canvas pop out kind. Thanks for any advice.

2. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

No experience with them. An uncle of mine has one and he really likes it. I have a fifth wheel myself with no slideouts. How new you looking to get?

3. goldflinger

00thru new.We might make an offer on an06 ttomorrrow.

4. goldflinger

We have an 24 ft 1986 layton on Holcombe flowage. Permamant campsite.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the canvas style pullouts get too much condensation, my uncle just traded his in on a solid pullout.......:noidea:

6. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

If you are meaning Pop Ups, we have been using pop ups for 20 years now and absolutely love them. In regard to condensation, the newer models do not use canvas like the old style. They are very comfortable, affordable and actually quite nice. A trick is before you pop them up is to spread a tarp over the top, I use a 20 x 30 ft size, crank up the pop up, pull out the beds etc. and then tent stake the tarp and tie off on the grommets where ever possible. I actually make low points in the tarp for the rain to run off of. This gives you a rain shelter to keep your outside cooking area dry and functional as well as a place to sit out of the sun or rain for that matter. The awnings that they come with are fairly small so I have never bothered using one for outside shelter. Hope this helps.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Pop-ups are basically tents on wheels. They are as closely related to the modern campers as a tent is to a screen house :)

They have a lot of possible "add ons" like kitchen areas (sinks), air conditioning, etc.

The only pita part is the setup, Where the modern 5th wheel, pull out, and self containted campers shine is in their convince. You can pull up to the site and within 3 minutes you are "camping". (if you can call it that).

When we had ours (my parents) setup took at least an hour or 2, and if it was raining the setup was horrible and everything got wet. once the top is raised and wings (beds) extended then everything needs to be unpacked and setup outside because there really isn't much room inside other then a small table and the beds.

we had a BLAST camping in them, I think I prefer regular tent camping to pop-up but If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up and enjoy using it!

8. trussoni

My wife and I just kind of go from campground to campground throughout the state or a bordering state as much as possible during camping season. Its usually near good fishing though.

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

My parents have been through the camper series.... Started in tents and now they are going to pick up their fleetwood bounder next tuesday. I would suggest skipping the pop ups all together and getting a smaller $$$ enclosed trailer. My parents will be selling their 33 foot jayco to make room for the new motorhome. We never really cared for the pop up campers. JMHO!

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

guys they have hard top campers, with vinyl/canvas pullouts now....:doh: :doh: :doh:

11. trussoni