can someone help a brother out.???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Werd, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Werd

Werd Senior Member

okk look. i hunt on edge of a 70 yard across powerline field. and i had 2 buck coming to me about 60 yards away. all of a sudden they lift their heads. look towards a farm about 400 yards and they step back about 4 steps and high tail it to the woods???what made them do that. the wind was coming from the NE and i was SW of them.?? so i was upwind..maybe they caught a swirl of me or sumthing. im mad tho. it was a 8 pointer....:mad: :mad: so if anybody has or had ever experienced this. hook a brotha up with sum info on how to not make them run:peace:

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Where they looking in your direction???

most likely wasn't you...Anything could have spooked them.

3. Werd

Werd Senior Member

nope they werent. even if they were they wouldnt have saw me. there was a huge branch in the way betweet me and them. and im in a tree with the most cover. its like branches everywhere. hmmm...there was a fox??? could that have been????if so...mr.fox meet mr. rage.

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

got another thing. i shoot easton st. epic 400's, 8.7 GPI. what grain am i shooting and how much K.E am i getting. i have sumthing 4 inserts and really reall really light nocks. with 2 inch blazers. could sumone calculate this. there is absolutly no glue drops either.

5. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

before we can figure KE need to know the speed and total arrow wght.

6. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

If you can light a smoke bomb off in your stand and watch the direction of the smoke. Even take a walk after setting it off. Go see if you can smell it where the deer were standing. You may be very surprised with what you find out.

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

ummm fps is around just put 265. and the arrow weight is what i want sumone to find out. i dont have a scale..hes the stuff.

Easton St. Epic 400's
    8.7 gpi
    3-2 inch blazer vanes
    hp inserts
    really no glue for the vanes. its pretty clear to me. theres not any additional weight on the end of the arrow due to glue... and lol i dont have a smoke bomb

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Measure the length of the the arrow shaft, just the shaft. Multiply that length by your 8.7 gpi, add 10-15 grains for a nock depending on size (gold tip nocks weigh 12 grains and lumenoks weigh between 20-25), 15 grains for blazer vanes, 15-25 grains for an insert depending on how big it is, and 100 grains for you tip. That total and your speed will get you a close figure on your KE, next time you go to the local shop have them weigh you arrow, and shoot it through a chrono, then you will find out exactly.
    http://www.archeryexchange.com/information/info_pages/kinetic/kinteic-calculator.shtml

9. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

you said they looked towards a farm...maybe they saw a person/tractor/combine/pickup etc...my experience however has been that deer arent really afraid of tractors, and they just look at combines like "wow, the mother ship has landed!" :lol:

Probably saw/smelled a person or a coyote, but who knows, it could be any of a million things

10. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I swear deer have a sixth sense. I once had a doe bust me and every time I hunted that stand since she would come down the field edge and blow before she even got 150 yards from me. And she was upwind of me every time. It was almost kind of funny because it was like clockwork. She would come out with two fawns the same time every night. They learn and don't forget.