Carbon Express Arrows Vs Expedition Hunter

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by savagebandit, Jul 1, 2008.

1. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

Which Would You Go With?

2. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Both are good arrows. What type of shooting, 3D, target, field? Are you wanting to go with a light arrow? Are the Gold Tip Pros(001) or Hunters(003) avabile? How much is your price range for arrows?

3. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

I really have not set a price range yet. I started out with 6 Expedition Hunters for $45. I'm currently down too 2. I missed the target, when setting up sights. I total destroyed the second one, my bad.:mad: Arrows 3 and 4 passed straight thru the target. I was shooting at 20 yard line. I purchase a new target and use the old one as a back stop. I have only been target shooting.

4. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Happy shooting. Expedition from Gold Tip are good arrows to start with the price is right and they shoot well. As far as trashing arrows, at 20yrds shoot at different spot to avoid robin hooding arrows, I know starting out with archery it seams cool. But trashing arrows is costly.

5. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I shoot Carbon Express Terminator Lt Selects. Decent durability, good quality control and 60 to 80.00 per doz., depending on how you shop.

6. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

I'm loving the Expedition Hunter arrow, I hitting target consistent at 40'. What type of grouping do most people get, at this distance. I'm using a large box target from wal-mart. I'm using the broadside, with the two targets top and bottom.:usa:

7. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I dont know about anyone else but as long as my total group is 1 in at 10yrds, 2 at 20 ect... so at 40 yrds I am happy with a 4 in total group. No I am not saying I get that every time but this is the guide line I use.

8. Captain19

Captain19 Grim Reaper of the Foam

As far as which brand to choose is going to be prefernce and application. The most important factor in arrow accuracy is SPINE and the consistancy between all your arrows. This is most important in target. As far as hunting you have to consider weight to penetration. A slimmer arrow is more beneficial to penetration due to less resistance from less surface area. Also speed will effect penetration. I know there is a big push on heavy arrows to gain penetration. But heavy means slow, and slow means easier to stop. So look at the different offerings of arrows and look to see which arrow will spine to your setup with a finished weight as close as you can get to 5 grains for each pound of draw weight. That will result in speed to gain pass thru. Look at the spine and weight tolerance. Tight tolerances will give you consistancy and accuracy. I myself like Carbon Express Maxima. Carbon express has very consistant spine so they are accurate and come in light for speed and have a good weight tolerance as well. They also are very tough. Well good luck to you in your decision.

9. DubleLungEm

DubleLungEm New Member

i agree that spine is most important, and every thing being
    equal a slimmer arrow will penetrate better.
    but as for heay=slow=easy to stop some one wasn't paying
    attention in physics class

how do all those guys shooting trad get pass throughs
    with those heavy slow arrows?

if i throw tennis ball at you at 70 mph you could stop it easily
    a 20 lb. medicine ball at 35 mph would probably kill you

10. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I try to find a happy median. Trajectory is very important to me because of the main areas I hunt. But I also don't "max" out on this speed thing either.
    I shoot at 27 1/2 inches (t-rex arms) and 60 lbs. I try to find the best arrow flight with the KE to get the job done. Kind of a middle of the road weight leaning toward the lighter side. I want the straightest flight possible but want the weight incase I get "some Bone" in the shot. I don't push the edge either way. My number one concern is CONFIDENCE in the setup I use. A setup for heavily wooded areas with denser foilage is differant than one setup for clear longer shots. Figure out the terrain you'll normally hunt in and set yourself up accordingly. Target shooters use a whole differant ballgame. To me too light of an arrow doesn't give me the confidence I need if I hit bone. and confidence is the number one thing when you draw back on that "once in a lifetime shot". I like the Carbon Express arrows on which I use fixed broadheads. Not because I don't like mechanical broadheads, but only because I feel better with the fixed. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. Captain19

Captain19 Grim Reaper of the Foam

They get them with shot placement. My uncle is an avid traditional archer and has had alot of arrows stick. Further more traditional archers shoot various poundages and arrows so not a concrete example. A tennis ball is and a medicine is not a good comparison due to density differences. It is true that weight will have a great effect on foot pounds of energy, I am not desputing that. But speed has a great effect on penetration and energy. For example a 200 gr. spire point has 2349ft.lbs (Muzzle) at 2300 fps. A 150 gr. spire point has 2428 ft. lbs (Muzzle) at 2700fps. Lighter and faster and more energy(These are ballistic facts from published ballistic tables). The 150 gr. bullet has a better chance of passing thru. Simply because slower travel means greater absorbtion of energy due to a greater applied time it is in contact with the target. This causes greater energy loss so there is less energy spared to keep the object moving. Versus faster velocities that have less apllied time to absorb energy which means higher retained energy to keep the object moving. In a bullet you want it to stop cause your inflicting shock waves of energy to disrupt the nervous system. In archery your looking to create hemoraging and blood loss. So simply two holes are better than one to bleed out, obviously acheived from pass thru which speed will greatly effect. Granted the difference in a 7.3 gpi versus a 8.0 gpi arrow is minor due to the slow speeds of archery and trajectory is going to be the most noticable variable. When I wrote what you quoted I was more or less trying to say this easton and beman advertisement on heavier arrows wont make the difference they claim. The slimmer shaft has a greater difference than the added weight. But when considering it all the slim profile cuts resistance to prevent energy loss and the weight counter acts it. So to me your getting the same perfoemance from a conventional arrow.... it's a gimmick. Just MY opinion :biggrin1:

12. DubleLungEm

DubleLungEm New Member

density differences? that is the point more mass= harder to stop
    bullet peneatration is more a product of bullet design than just weight.
    a soild copper bullet will out peneatrate a hollow point.
    this ballistics table shows that the heaver slower bullet not only has
    more energy, the lighter faster bullet looses it's energy faster
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/300_rsaum.html
    while they have nearly identcal trajectory.
    the trajectory diff. of arrows shot at 270fps vs. 300fps is around
    2" at 40 yards.
    i'll give up that two inches for a medium-heavy arrow that the penetration
    will be measured in how far it goes in the ground, on the off side of the deer.
    plus
    heaver arrow=quieter bow
    heavy arrow=less wind drift
    speed is overrated momentum kills

is not just my opinion it's physics

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hey guys, the pissing match over who payed more attention in physics class??:laugh:

SPEED AND HEAVY ARROWS

WE ARE IN 2008 for CHRIST SAKE

WE CAN HAVE BOTH......END OF STORY

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

14. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

350 GRAIN ARROW 300 FPS COMPLETE PASS THOUGH END OF STORY :cool:

15. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

Ok, So which arrow is it Carbon Express or Expedition Hunter :decision:

16. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I put my vote in for Carbon Express Maxima 350's....great arrows...extremely fast...and they are very consistant...you just have to muscle up and spend the $70 for 6:frusty:

17. DubleLungEm

DubleLungEm New Member

:focus: sorry for hijacking
    CX maxima hunters