Chappy Boss Release

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Norien, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Norien

Norien Junior Member

Hello Gurus!
    At the urging of a guy who is the much respected guru and top dog at my archery range I bought the Chappy Boss and dumped the caliper release I've used for so long. Being very unused to threading a string through the d-loop I take a ridiculous amount of time in doing so and all too often botch it by hitting the trigger or clamping down "on" the string attached to the release.
    I'm trying to get good at strictly target archery. My friend insists that the string on string set up is best for accuracy and consistency in release but I have others nudging me to cut the string off the release and simply use the talon on the Chappy as a caliper would be used. Contradicting the "top dog's" advice. Is this good advice? Are there really accuracy issues here? I know, as in everything, that there are different opinions on all topics like this but wanted to fish around for some more feedback. My gut tells me that I want to back off to using just the talons simply out of laziness (lol) and that alone makes me question those pushing me to go that route as maybe they abandoned pushing the release string through the d-loop as clamping it can be a bit of a task for newbie hands.
    Thanks so much for any help and thanks again for all the other help I've received in this forum!

Norien

2. Rgrsldg1

Rgrsldg1 Junior Member

I'm by no means a guru at this but I went the same route you're talking about this fall. I use Carters Attention spike release. Started using it to get rid of target panic, it worked. Love the release and shoot really good(for me )with it. Started by just using the loop on the release around the bow string. Worked just fine, but then read where D-loops would increase accuracy. So I put a D-loop on and it did increase my accuracy(shot one deer with just the loop on string). Then I noticed a little wear on the release string. What was happening was the release loop was hitting the arrow nock when using the D-loop and the string on the release. I removed the string on the released and just use the hook, works even better. I would suggest using either the release rope on the bow string or the hool on the D-loop, but not both together. Was just discussing this yesterday at bow shop and they agreed. You can also go to a floating head type release( don't want to invest that much more into a new release) Good luck, by the way I put down another deer with just using the hook, feel comfortable either way.

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

you dont use the string on the release on a string loop. The loop on the release is intended if you dont use a loop. If thats the way I'm understanding your explanation. and the string on string thing isnt true. I use the caliper or hook on a string loop. Its a preferance. Many pro's use the loop. and some use the string on the release. But not both at the same time. Also, adjust the trigger to fit inside your thumb. so you can wrap your thumb around it. W/ a little tension on it. Also, adjust the tension of the trigger tension to your comfort zone.

4. Norien

Norien Junior Member

Talon Release

Thanks so much for the help. I'll give it a try. Seems to make better sense following your suggestions and after reading your replies I'm starting to wonder if I didn't misinterpret my friends original advise.

Best regards
    Norien

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Pinwheel's right...
    If you want to use a D-loop take the string off the talon If you want to use the string on the release cut off the D-loop and go directly around the bowstring...:biggrin1: