Checklist for season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BowhuntnHoosier, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Ok guys if you are like me you get a mental checklist of items for hunting season. So lets hear some of your items from your bow to drag rope. Maybe something will be mentioned that will help others out. :rockon:

Tag
    Bow
    Arrows
    Release
    Face Mask
    Gloves
    ThermaCell
    Knife
    Blind
    Hunting Bucket
    Bino's
    Bota Bag
    Grunt
    Bleat
    Rattle Bag
    Scent Spray
    Tink's
    Drag Rope

Ok what else?????????????

2. zman43302

zman43302 Junior Member

botabag????????????
    termacell ????????????????????

how bout tree stand,decoy(s)

3. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

well as far as i can tell most of your are mainly deer hunters. I find myself equiped a little differnt, I am mainly a elk hunter, Heres whats in my daypack or attached to it, 10x42 binos, range finder, Flashlight, with 2 spair bulbs and 2 new sets of batteries, garmen gps with extra batteries, my fingerless huntin gloves for the cool mornings, 2 new lighters, 20 foot drag or hang rope, motrin ib, tums, snakebite kit, tags, 4 large game bags. Map of area i hunt, foot mole skin, roll of white athletic tape, hunting knife, small pocket knife, sharping stone, toilet paper, small roll of white nylon string, orange marking tape, gerber light weight slide out saw, 3 liter water bladder. 2 or 3 extra broadheads.Small plastic bottle of micro balloons, for checking wind direction, and last but not least a small set of hex wrenches. For food and consumables ill add, a handfull of candybars, fruities, trail mix, maybee some jerky, 2 sandwiches, chips and some cookies and 2 or 3 cans of code red mt dew and 3 packs of smokes!! And sometimes ill toss in one of those big shopco muffins for a morning treat. By now most of you are pry goin holy cow this guys nuts!!! Just remeber the wilderness here in some areas for the most part is unlimeted for a foot soldier, theirs days We start hiking at 4 am and get back to the truck at 10 or 11 pm, and who knows how many miles we will hike, We put in some long hard days of hunting, and dont forget how much work you have when you down a good size elk 3,4 or 5 miles from your rig, you got alot of work to do. then when the works done, you get to load up the meat and pack out of their........... I do some treestand hunting also, just have a small fanny pack for that, got some stuff to eat, something to drink, hunting knife, hoist rope, tags, flashlight, and safty harness, range finder and binos... opps dont forget my wind checker and smokes!!!! no big deal here, im never more then 15 min from the truck. This is a great topic!!!

4. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

packing

Some times I like to pack my kid along. He's only 4 but he cant wait to go out and sit with me in a ground blind. Also I bring a range finder & flashlight, that wasn't on your list.

I didn't think I could get any more pumped about bow season then I did last year, but I deffinetly am. My wife just loves it!!!!!!! hehe

5. BowhuntnHoosier

This is great you guys we all have different needs and neccesities.

zman, bota bag is made of leather for carrying water and thermacell is for skeeters.:rockon: I hunt from a ground blind and do not use a decoy. How many of you use a decoy?????

bullspotter, you elk guys have to carry alot more stuff than we do around here. Is'nt it great though getting everything ready. I am planning an elk hunt to Col. in a few years. Those bugling bulls make my the hair on the back of my neck stand up.:biggrin1:

ridgewalker, ah yes flashlight is in the fanny pack. Do not own a rangefinder:Cry:

6. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

im ready all i need is the calender to say october 1 and the deer to walk by too bad thats the hard part

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I always like to take my best hunting buddy along with me , That's Jesus and a 30-30 bullet and a box of life boat matches for getting lost is not a possiblity with me it has been a reality more that once, my short term memory and excitement of hunting has cost me more anxious moments than I would care to tell. So if you here some one blowing the devil out of a whistle or somebody holling"somebody come and get me" please have mercy. by the way what would a bowhunter carry a bullet for?:faint: :help:
    Holy Smokes

8. BowhuntnHoosier

Buddy I have been there before thought for sure I was walking north and ended up east about a mile from where I thought I should have been.:noidea: So now I pay a little more attention to detail. If I hear you from Indiana though I will definately give you a hand. As for the bullet maybe for a reminder that some guys take the easy way out and you are not one of those guys so toughen up and BOWHUNT.:peace:

9. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Guest

I am going on my first elk hunt ever. My dad and I leave on the 15th of September for parts unknown in Colorado. I have just about everything you mentioned. I am extremely concerned about altitude sickness though. It's very flat in North Carolina compared to Colorado. What are some things I can do to help with this issue?

10. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Hello Home-A-Lite, I guess it depends on how good of shape your in, i would try to find some place their to do some hiking, do some conditioning, maybe run up and down some steps in the morning and afternoon, do some good cardo workouts, next if your going to be doing alot of hikeing while hunting, make sure you have good boots that fit, and are broke in,if you get sore feet and blisters on the 2nd day of a 10 day hunt, you will not have a good time period!!!!! Trust me, If your going to be using pack frames to pack the meat out, get a good one, and one that fits properly, try it out, 2 weeks ago, i had my 82 lb son get on mine and we went for a few small walks, so i could adjust everything to my likeing with a good load. Last but not least, take it easy the first few days, you will get worn out faster in the thin air, I seem to find the first 3 days are the hardest, it seems to get better after that, When you get toaly worn out, take a day off, maybe just do do some spotting or something, let you body rest as needed. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET!!! If i think of anything eles ill let you know! Happy Hunting Co has some great elk hunting!!

11. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Guest

Thank you for the advice Bullspotter! I'll let you know how everything turns out.

12. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

No matter if it's hunting or fishing I always carry a copy of that year's hunting / fishing regulations with me. I really don't know why, I'm not likely to ask the deer to hold on a minute while I consult the handbook, but during some lunch break chats with my hunting partners it has put some debate topics to rest.