closet you have been to a deer (in the woods)

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by outdoorsman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

what is the closest you have been to a deer and then what is the closest shot you have taken a deer from......

we have a video of a 8 point eating inches from my boot while sitting under a tree on the ground......

we have a video of a friend of mine who had broken a few branches from a bush and ut in his guilley suit and a doe actually along the trail and was eating the leaves from the branches on his head cover.....

1 yard shot 8 point

nothing like trying to put them in your pocket b-4 taing them home

2. outdoorsman

that would be closest in the title not closet

3. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

About two feet for me. I was in a ground blind built out of the surrounding cover. A doe poked her head in the hole and looked right at me for about ten seconds.

4. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Three seasons ago I discovered upon arrival that someone had stolen all my hang-on stands. So for the afternoon hunt I sat on the ground with my back up against a tree on the side of a hill overlooking a small ravine. I got one of those feelings and looked over my shoulder to see a small basket rack walking diagonal down the hill towards me. He continued past me at a slow walk passing close enough that if I had leaned a little to the right I could have rubbed my shoulder on him. He never had a clue I was there and continued on his merry way.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh about 20 feet below me... he was eating the branches that I cut out of the tree to get to the height I wanted :lol:

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Back in my single days, I went turkey hunting with my boyfriend. We sat down on a slope to just listen for a while to see if we could hear any turkeys. After about 5 minutes of sitting a small doe starts walking right towards us. She got about 10 feet away before she stopped eating and looked up at us. She was quite surprised and took off. We had NO cover, just sitting on a grassy hillside and the grass was only a few inches tall.

7. outdoorsman

nothing else like it.... ok almost nothing else like it

8. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Closest deer about 1 foot. Closest deer with a bow a good at 6 yards.

Mo.Hick

9. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Had one walk under my stand... I was about 16-20 ft up! :rockon:

10. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

On the ground I could reach out and touch a doe that was standing there. Wondered what she would have done if I had grabbed her :scared: As far as a shot 5 yards off the tree and 18 foot high.

11. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

The closest I've gotten to a deer in the woods is about 3 or 4 feet. I walked up on a bedded doe in the dark going to my stand... scared :scared: the $%#* out of me. And the closest I shot a deer was 5 yards :hungry:

12. V-DOG

V-DOG Junior Member

Had a fawn take a nap against the tree I was in while his mother was browsing all around the area. Dropped a few twigs on him after 40 minutes or so and he went and nursed.

13. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

I nearly got stepped by a dominant buck. I was hunting on the northern jungles and was waiting at the checkin station when another hunter brings in a buck he shot in another area to get weighted. The buck was dripping buck juice from his "member" so I smeared it all over my boots to help cover my scent. When I reached my hunting area (shotgun area) I started creeping along the game trails for about twenty minutes. For about ten minutes I kept getting the feeling that I was being followed but could not see anything (jungle is really thick). I finally sat under a coconut tree surrounded by dence undergrowth. A few monents later I hear rustling and see this dark object sneaking through the sticks about 10 yards away heading straight for me. I first thought it was a wild boar because it was low and dark colored. But when he finally came to a clear spot 3 yards away I saw the antlers and dropped the buck nearly at my lap. I don't know whether he was going to fight my or try to hump me. But fresh buck urine really made me a believer. I was back at the weight-in station in an hour.:biggrin1:

14. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I've been close enough to a few deer to touch them:cool:

Dan

15. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

In my early years I use to shot 80 lbs. I was hunting with a friend and he offered to call the deer and I be the shooter. We where both on the ground and he was a few yards back. As soon as he started bleat calling two does came running full speed out of the brush right to us. They stopped two yards in front of me (kneeling). I was so shaken up I could not pull my bow back. After they ran off I could not even stand. Talk about buck fever. :doh:

16. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I have had doe sniff my leg while sitting in buck season. I had a buck walk right past me at 3 feet during fall turkey. The closest I ever shot a deer was at 4 yards. I was only 6 feet up in a little tree.

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Maybe 5 yards at the most. There was a pretty good sized buck in full velvet 2 years ago that was just hanging out in the front yard of the apartment I was living in at the time. I saw it outside the window and went out there and just slowly walked up to it. I could not believe it did't move. It was just standing there. It left in a hurry when a car came down the drive and it ran into the woods.

Ron

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Last year I had a small spike come within 2 feet...Closest I ever took was 8 yrds...

19. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Had a wounded buck jump up practically at my feet in a alfalfa field at night a few nights after the regular gunseason. yea scared the h#%ll out of me. Went back the next and took care of him with the muzzle loader.:biggrin1:

20. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Had a game warden in Maine tell me that he had a cow moose put her head in his jeep window. I guess she got a wiff of him and blew snot all over the inside of his new jeep.
    :lol:
    I know this was not a deer, but still too close.