Complete Archery newb from the UK looking for advice

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Trogdor, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Trogdor

Trogdor New Member

Hi there everyone.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm looking to buy a decent first time bow for recreational use. My only prob is that i live in the UK and I do not have any nearby stores to buy archery equipment from. So my only real means of buying a bow from is online from one of the archery stores down south.

This of course is my dilemma as i cannot 'try before i buy' so I don't have the option of getting a feel for any particular style of bow.

I have found a bow that i am intrested in which is a compund bow :- Mirage Compound Bow Kit
    http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Mirage_Compound_Bow_Kit.html[/url]

Which is around 100 quid (about $200)
    And wondered if anyone could check it out and let me know if its any good or if you guys have any advise.

I'm about 5ft 11 heavy build with a fair amount of upper body and arm strength. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

It's definitely a beginners package. 206 is very slow, I don't think you'd be satisfied with it for very long. I don't know what the club situation is over there, but perhaps you could get some help from one. For that kind of money you'd be better off picking up a good used one, but until you learn a bit more about it that's a tall order - that's why I encourage you to seek out others in your area if at all possible. Bows are such an individual item it's hard to tell someone - go buy this model.

3. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

4. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

try to get a bow that you can change the draw modules to make sure you can get it to fit you

5. Trogdor

Trogdor New Member

Thanks for the advise guys.
    Archery here in the UK seems to be more popular than I thought.
    Thanks for that link QSA. I found an archery club close to me and once i'm driving I will be able to go.

Thanks dbdcougar, with a little detective work on google i managed to find an archery store in Preston which should only take 2 hours or so on the bus.
    They seem to have a range on site as well so hopfuly I will be able to get a feel for them before I select one.
    Got a day off work this thursday so gonna get myself up there.
    Will do my research before going so I can ask the right questions and hopfuly get matched up with suitable bow.
    Do you think I can get a half decent bow for that amount of cash?
    Or will I need to dig abit deeper into my wallet?

I'll post an update at the end of the week with the results.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the site and the sport...
    Glad yo.u got the help you needed, and do keep us posted. and ask any questions that may arise