Computer TECH heads.....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I had a computer given to me, that I want to clean out, nothing on it is needed......

Whats the best way to clean it out of all un-needed files and things?? Manually, or is there a program i can get??

the Computer no longer needs to access the internet......

it only needs to house my Pedigree Program for the rabbits.....

I seem to remember having to reboot (not the right word) the whole system, a long time ago.....

and the guy that I spoke too had me unplug the thing and hold the power button in and then restart the system from scratch.....

anybody got any pointers......??

2. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

The best thing to do is re-format the hard drive and re-install Windows(or whatever O/S you are using.)
    That means you would need a valid copy of Microsoft Windows.

3. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

When your computer is booting up there should be a recovery it is usally f11 when you see it just keep tapping f11 and it will remove everything that was not at factory setting

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Yes, reformat the hard drive.

5. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

First up, do you know the brand and model #? It should be stamped on it somewhere unless it's a custom build.

Also, what operating system? (Windows XP?)

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

its running Windows XP Proffesional

I went through and manually removed all the JUNK.......1,002,324 internet temp files:frusty: :frusty:

I have it running much faster now, I got rid of all the internet crap, the useless pics, all outdated material, all the games(we couldnt find most of the disks anymore anyway)......and it will ONLY be used for my Rabbit Program....

it only took ALL afternoon to get it cleaned out....it was my sisters old computer, you wouldnt believe the music I deleted...(the AMOUNT):frusty:

7. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Unplug it.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

your a day late and a dollar short, just like always....DIPPY:noidea:

9. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

guess who ran over a nest full of baby bunnies with their John Deere last week? :wave:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

DID you get them real good or did they run around with there heads half attatched and the eye balls dangling???

did you kill the mother 2??

did she taste good??

if you deep fry the little ones its like BUNNY MC NUGGETS.......MMMMM CHOMP!!!!:eyebrows:

11. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

no, I just drove over top of them and gave them a little scare, there was two little guys in there that I could see, I haven't checked on them since last Thursday, I suppose the neighbor's cats found them by now. I thought about trying to help the little guys, but they were way little, like less than 2 inches and they still need mommy's milk at that age. My boys would like to have them as pets. I actually like rabbits, despite knowing you. They are cute, groundhogs...arrows to DA FACE!

12. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

So the John Deere now serves two purposes?

Rabbit slaying and arrow pulling? :tape:

13. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

No 3, you forgot driving over your face with the deck setting on 1.

If your parents will let you come over after school, I can show you how that works. :cool:

14. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Can't got homework.

Sorry maybe another night? :noidea: :pout:

15. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

yeah right! You don't do homework, Scout's meeting huh? :noidea:

How much mulch has your troop sold so far?

16. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

I don't have to pay for mulch Captain Ron. :cool:

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

If you removed a ton of files and applications you should run disk de-fragmenter to gain even more speed.

On XP Pro it's in the following menu: Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter

The interface is pretty intuative and simple to run.

It will take awhile to run so start it in the evening and let it run overnight. You'll get rid of open 'gaps' on the hard drive and make the files on it contiguous instead of have a lot of files spread across the drive. If files that are operating system and/or application related that are fragmented the defrag will make a pretty big improvement on disk access, which will give you the obvious impression of a faster, more efficient machine.

Hope that helps bud...

Ron

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

*sigh* see what happens when I'm gone?

Ronhops's info is pretty good.

More then likely if your sister had that much music and she let you trash it then she got it for free... which means she used a file sharing site to get it all...

which means its completely full of crap you don't want, trojans, spyware, adware... you name it, its there.

The most effective method (assuming you have an XP disc) is to perform a reinstall by booting with the DVD/CD in the drive and chose new install (think its F2 but its been a while). This should take you into the Windows Install program when it gets to the part about partions, remove the original, tell it yes, then create a new one. this should cause it to do a full format, it will install clean and you won't have to deal with any of her old crap that was left on it.

Or you could low level it from the BIOS if thats supported but I doubt it is.

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am pretty sure i got her cleaned out real good....its really fast again, and only takes about 20 seconds to boot up and is ready to use.....:rockon:

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

One question though........................................does it have solitare???:laugh: