Confussed about draw weight.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I read that a person that put new strings on his bow...said that his dw decreased.I know i'm not the smartest on this,but how can that be.I thought when you set your dw....that was it.I guess you could loose a tad from creep/stretch.:noidea:.IMO unless you are able to keep/shoot your bow in a controlled temp inviroment(sp).....imo all strings will stretch/creep sooner or later.Any thoughts on this?.

2. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I'd like to see replies on this from some of the guys in the know. Beings I'm in the bottom 10 dummies here I can't give an answer. I thought the DW was determined by the limbs and their limb adjustment at the pockets. I would have guessed by putting on new strings (allowing for string stretch) that the only things changed would be on the DL part or anchoring issues.:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

After putting on the new strings, if the bow isn't tuned right you will loose some poundage on your draw weight. On the other hand, if the bow is properly tuned, you will typically gain 1-3 pounds if not more on your draw weight.

4. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

that is more likely to happen with a 1 cam set up. When getting a new string/cable.....twist to factory spec for your make ,model and cam size,then install.

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

The main reason is because the old string/cables have crept on the bow. Usually the string, being longer on single cam bows, the draw length is longer and the eight goes up.

Put new, shorter rigging on the bow and the weight will be less along with the draw length being shorter. Brace height will be higher, too. If however, the cam is kept in the old rotation by twisting the cables the weight should be higher due to more prestress on the limbs, but the bow most likely won't be in specs. The A2A will be shorter and the brace height will be taller.

Try doing it this way. Before removing the old strings twist the cables and string to get the bow back to specs. Then weigh it. Then put the new rigging on, set the bow to factory specs and weigh it for comparison. I'll bet it will be very, very close to the same weight.

6. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

He was blameing the loss of dw on the brand of strings....which was WC....instead of imo was other things that he didn't do correctly when/after installing.

7. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

get the string/cable length spec for that particular bow/cam. press the bow, remove the string. screw a screw in a stud out in the garage and get a tape measure. twist to factorry bow/cam spec and re-install.
    the greatest compound propaganda campaign was waged by Mathews from the mid/late 90's up to the introduction of the Hoyt cam & a 1/2. 1 cam bows cant get out of time is a trick question. No ,there arent 2 cams to sync..... But a 1 cam can get out of "optimum rollover" and get out of optimum rollover much easier than hybrid and twin cam set ups....due to the super LONG string. 1 cams have 1 long string and 1 cable. twins and hybrids have 2 cables and a short string. A string twice as long stretches 4 times more.
    always get 452 or Xcel for 1 cam set ups. 8125 is faster and may last a lil longer, but will stretch and cause a 1 cam to get out of optimum rollover before you know it.

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It more than likely is because the string is alittle long...doesn't take much

get some twists in that sucker and the weight should be right back where it's meant to be...:cool: