Convert a bow that is....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Oct 9, 2007.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

a cam & 1/2 into a solo cam.... is it possible and what are all the things to concider other than strings/cables.I've seen some cam & 1/2's and if the same bow would have been a solo cam...i'd bought it.I bet someone along the line has done this and it worked.

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

will I can say this. I bought a hoyt ultra tec. Older one with a single cam, the guy changed it over to a twin cam (commander cams)
    It shoots great and I also have the single cam and strings to.

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

make sure the cams are going to clear the limbs at full draw. no machining or trimming is a good idea.. other than that alot of tinkering, Its been done.

4. IChim2

The reason i asked was that i have a couple darton mavericks and always wondered what it would be like to have one that was a solo cam.You don't know if you don't ask.I may be wrong but have often heard that hoyts and dartons cam&1/2 were similar.Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

5. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

i am very interested in this topic and was wondering if there was anyway you could change the new hoyt cam and a half to a solo cam and what kind of cams would you use

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have a 99' Executive Vegas that's a single cam...that cam and idler will fit the Mav limbs...It's not a very aggresive cam and it's slow as molasses in January...:laugh:
    View attachment 4437

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes it is.....:laugh:

8. red44

red44 Senior Member

I believe the technology is pattented under Darton, Hoyt pays for it, calls they're version the cam and a half.

9. IChim2

Yeah...your vegas is similar to the "98"Cyclone i have(slow by todays standards..but it's a tack driver).I have a CP6 cam on my maverick which is pretty aggrevsive and i want to keep it....but would have to find an idlier wheel that would work with it.

10. IChim2

Yeah..i guess i didn't frase that very good.Rex has made a fortune off his cam patents and i've been a been a die hard Darton fan for almost 10yrs.I don't think hoyt pays them anything anymore...i think they settled that one.

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Good luck, lots of people make "frankenstein" bows now a days. Heck Every Martin you get is one! I personally think its great.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

So you want to keep the lower cam and put an idler up top???
    I don't know what that would do...

13. IChim2

I spoke with a darton dealer and he said he has done this...The only thing he found that changed was that by changing to a round wheel the bow was a little smoother drawing...that was all..it still shot good and the speed stayed about the same and went on to say that basicly the mavericks are single cams...some call them cam & 1/2.....but there really a single cam bow.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Did he say what idler to use??
    Or can you get an older Darton wheel??

15. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

I think Hoyt still pays Darton. BowTech pays Darton too, and I think that PSE and Darton have a sharing agreement.

That said, I think you can convert a cam & 1/2 to a solo and vice versa. Make sure first that the cams clear the limb cutouts. There are two potential problems:

1) Getting the correct string and cable lengths...you'll have to experiment a bit, and

2) When you switch cams out, you never know what poundage you'll build and what draw length you'll end up with. It's a crap shoot.

I did convert an older (say 1999 or 2000) Hoyt Aspen single cam to a cam.5 system. That was one sweet bow!

16. IChim2

I didn't even think to ask him what idler wheel he used...but i can find out one day next wk.I liked what he said about it drawing smoother.He's been a darton dealer for years and knows these bows inside and out.

17. IChim2

Your probably right about darton/hoyt...i read something on it but can't remember it all...thats why i said "i think D/Y settled that issue"...Hard to keep up with these companies.Also...your correct about the string/cables.He said that was the fun part.I think tinkering with bows is fun....just don't get hurt.