Cost to install a string & cables?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

What does your dealer charge to install a set of strings and cables? I'm talking about the service work, not the cost of the strings and cables. I'm just trying to get a concensus for what dealers are charging for the installation work. This would be pressing and putting them on, putting a new loop and reinstalling the peep.

I know some of you build your own and it costs you nothing. This is not what I am looking for.

Thanks

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I've never been charged for it...:noidea:

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

our shop charges around $40.00. includes installing strings and cables, any timing and tiller adjustments, loop, peep w/ alignment, paper tuning, and misc. tuning ect....

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think as long as you buy the strings and cables from my local dealer he'll put them on for free, but he also pretty much runs the shop as a hobby :noidea:

I've seen prices of up to 40.00 + the cost of strings for everything to be retuned.

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I don't know, what do you normally charge us, Chris. I think 40 bucks is a little high, but I will always go to a shop that I am happy with and does good work. If that means I'll have to pay $40, I'll pay it. How long does it take to put on new strings and cables, peep and loop?

6. Pinwheel1969

theres alittle more involved than just installing the accessoried and strings. The owner of the bow has to make sure the peep height is set for him. bow poundage is correct. New strings will correct any poundage adjustments they did for string stretch. He has to shoot it through paper to make sure its shooting good for him. Timing and any tiller adjustments. Along w/ any other tuning that is needed. Lube and ect... We will also break the bow down to peices and inspect for any cracks or wearing parts. You dont know what the owner has done to a bow he or she brings in. You have to cover all your bases. to cover your Arse...

7. Chris

We have been charging $10 (if purchased from us) to put them on and that includes the installation of a loop or brass nocks, re-tying the peep, and setting the cam rotation, axle-to-axle length, and brace height properly. Also retying the drop away cord if it has one.

I'm just re-evaluating what this service is worth and I'm thinking this is too cheap considering the time involved. This is why I'm asking what other people get charged.

We've had people bring in stuff that was purchased on Ebay for installation so I need to seperate our service prices.

Thanks for any advice

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

press work

It all depend's on the bow your working on,but fixed cost for me is $20.00 hour,tunning or press work.
    I work at home now & people come over to shoot the little range in the wood's behind my house,& get me to work on there bow's.
    Press bow,new string,loop,peep,leg's=part's+$20.00
    complete tuning to shoot like a rifle:adding sight,putting package togeather,
    However they want it to fit them=$15-40,depending on the time.:biggrin1:

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Do dealers have a seperate charge for different customers? If I buy a bow from a pro shop and always take it to the same bow shop to have anything done to it, is the cost for services(not equipment) the same as somebody who bought there bow elsewhere and wants services done to their bow? If pro shops have faithful and repeat customers its for good reasons, and for those reasons I believe they might pay a little more for the services they need done.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the shop I shoot for and work at charges $40 an hour to do work....minimum charge for the press is $10.....people know when they bring it there it will be done right.....

now if you purchaced your bow from us....or you are regular customer spending money 1-2 week, then of course you geta break.....

the way I see it is as a shop owner you have to eat and pay your bills too....

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

!!!bingo!!!!

I do give break's if a shooter want's me to set him up completly,walk's in & want's a bow I order the bow for him,sight's everything he need's give him break's on arrow's the hole ball of wax.
    when he come's back in re-tune free just part's etc.
    a dealer allway's want's a return costomer.
    in my case im the only bow shop withen 30miles i live in the country the shop's are in the city 30 to 50 miles away and then there is only 2, there use to be about 10 some 10 years ago including mine,cross-bows did them in & bass-pro shop 50 miles away & now gander-mountain is opening 2008 35 miles away.
    Good thing i dont make a livin off of workin on bow's anymore do it just for fun & pocket change.

• :laugh:

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Well, I don't get charged for a lot of things:noidea: :biggrin1: , but... at the shop I go to, I know they charge $5.00 to tie in a peep. When I had the new string and cables put on the Alpine, I didn't get charged for any service.

The shop in the next town told me, if I bought a bow from them, I could pay $50 and they would do all the service I needed for one year and I would get 3 hours of indoor range time and some time at the club range.

Just my opinion, but if someone does a lot of business with you or buys the string from you, give them a good deal or free, make them feel a little special. If they buy stuff somewhere else and want you to work on it or install it, charge them.

My husband works for Les Schwab tires and if the tires are bought from them the customer gets free services, if they are purchased elsewhere, they charge for all service.

Just my 2cents worth...

13. Pinwheel1969

this price is if.. You didnt buy the strings from us. If so, everything is free. I guess I forgot to mention that part! LOL

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

If you buy the string/cable from my local shop they set it up for free. If you bring your own string/cable(s) and buy a new peep/nocking point they set it up for free. If you bring in all your own stuff they charge $10 to set it up.

Ron

15. Chris

For those posting that it's free with the string purchase, please post what type of string and what they are charging?

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Baracuda, string and cable......Switchback=$90+tax:noidea:

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

For the Alpine, the strings and cables were Zebra Hybrid and I paid $50 total. But then again, I really don't know if he is charging me full price, cuz he doesn't charge me full price on a lot of things :noidea: I am not a moocher, he just won't take my money :noidea:

18. Chris

thanks bowman that helps

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Wheels is a moocher.............Wheels is a moocher:biggrin1:

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Winner's Choice string and cable on my Diamond Victory was $95 and change, installed with the peep installed, nock point reset and 1/2 hour of range time and a nock point/peep reset again if necessary.

That was about a year ago.

Ron