Cover Scents and Scent Blockers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Onyx Z, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to cover scents and scent blockers. But I'll be going on my first bow hunt ever next weekend and am looking for some info on some cover scents that work very well. I probably won't have any Scent-Lok type clothing, so I need some good stuff that lasts. What do y'all recommend? I will use scent free deodorant and soap, but what about the cover scent gum?

It is baking soda you wash your clothes in right? I can't remember. What other tips and suggestions do y'all have for staying as scent free as possible? I know not to wear the clothes around a campfire and keep them in a scent free bag, but what other things should I know about that aren't common sense type things?

2. I missed

I missed Senior Member

well along with washing them in baking soda i like to mix baking soda and water in a spray bottle and use right before entering the woods.

but my best advice is to hunt the wind!!!!:rockon: :peace:

3. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I definitely plan on hunting the wind.

And I'm leaning more towards just using a scent killer, I wanna smell like I'm not even there.

4. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

i dont want to smell at all! :laugh: :laugh:

5. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I think your on the right track. My opinion is the best scent is no scent.

6. XxHolleyxX

XxHolleyxX Junior Member

I have always used the scent away spray, sportwash, deoderant, and dryer sheets. This year I got some DeadDownwind spray...and it smells like hickory smoke. If you have some, sniff the cap. Mine sterted smelling after a few weeks. I think it might go away after it dries on your clothing, but I dont trust it. Going back to scent away. Also thought about trying this - http://www.nullo.com/ It's used in the medical field, so maybe it works, and it doesnt seem overly expensive. I always hunt the wind...but it isnt always consistent.

XxHolleyxX

7. ross334

ross334 Junior Member

In my opinion only, cover scents and scent blockers are all malarkey made to sell to the hunting public. The only true scent blocker is the "into the wind" hunting tactic.

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Dead down wind has worked well for me, I wear a scent blocker suit and I use the Dead down wind liberally. I know guys that smoke cigs in the woods, wash their clothes in regular detergent, use their regular soap in the shower etc... no scent elimination at all and one of them killed a 142" 8 this year! :noidea: WTF?? Best advice is hunt the wind and find a field spray that works! Good luck

9. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Take a shower! Remember to wash your Butt, but don't drop the soap!:laugh:

Okay all jokes aside, I just used bakingsoda to wash my clothes, dry them w/ no dryer sheet and spay down with scent killin' spay before I enter the woods! Good luck.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Arm & Hammer!

Thats what i use Wash everything with it!:biggrin1: