Creep tuning your target bow.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I have a customer that is getting started in target shooting. He was in the range the other day shooting a 300 round. He was getting a bit frustrated. He said he couldn't figure out why he was getting some low shots.

He said, they may not be perfect but they shouldn't be that low in the 4 ring. So I watched him shoot and didn't see anything obvious that should be causing the lows.

I said let's check out a few things on your bow. We put the bow in the hooter shooter and got it to full draw. I noticed the timing was off just a touch. So we started shooting it with the hooter shooter. We pulled arrows after each shot and marked the paper where the arrow landed. This bow would have been breaking arrows like crazy.

So I said, let's check the creep tune. Well, we found a problem. When hard into the wall, the arrows would drop low. If you were really hard into the wall, it would drop 2+ inches. This was not good an should be corrected.

So off to the bow press I go. I put one twist in the buss cable and repeated the test. Bingo we got all the arrows in the same group.

So don't let anyone tell you it's not important to thoroughly test your target bows. You want your target bow to be setup as forgiving as possible.

I purposely left the brand of bow off because I don't really think that is important here. But if you have any sort of 2 cam system and are serious about spot shooting, creep tune it!

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

good info as always, glad to see you posting......

my question is, how important is it to creep tune on a single cam???

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I would just like to find a bow shop in my area that actually knew how to tune a bow. How far are you from Chicago Chris? I would like to bring my bows up and let you go thru them sometime....:D

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Wish I had a hooter shooter.

5. Chris

Bullfiddle...From Chicago 90+ miles NW of Chicago.

Bunnyman... I attempted to creep tune my Apex7... found it not necessary. In fact, I don't know how you would creep tune a single cam.

I couldn't believe how little the impact point changed. I shot the bow 1/4" short of the valley and 1/4" past the valley (I don't think I could physically hold it there) Anyway, it changed the impact point 1/2 the width of an arrow.:peace:

Needless to say, I was impressed with the Apex7

6. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

You can use the one I use.(Brian) lol

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats what I thought I remember you saying, but wanted to make sure....

8. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Creep tuning?

Oh, I get it now..... I thought "Creep tuning" was if I let Bunnyman tune my bow.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Good one!!!! :pound: :pound: :thumb: :thumb:

10. two_shoes

Hey JC,

I could not let that one slide, it was causing physical pain to not type.

11. Allen

Allen Senior Member

You can't creep tune a single cam bow. However, you can often get some good results by tiller tuning it.

12. two_shoes

Does this involve a sailboat?

:laugh:

Sorry.....

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I'v gravel tuned a bow...but I ain't never thrown one down in the garden and tiller tuned it......:peace:

14. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

I prefer hammer tuning.

15. tek

tek Senior Member

For me, I like the top cam stop hitting just a tick before the bottom cam stop. It takes the highs and lows out of the shot and is more forgiving that way.

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

now that's funny:laugh:
    I just measured tha strings
    buss cable are42.5 string is 56.5 if I got a good measurement.
    do these sound right.

17. red44

red44 Senior Member

While it may not be necessary in the end to try creep tuning your single, I thinks it's worth finding out if the cam and nockpoint have a sweet-spot. Don't know if you'd call it creep tuning or not but a half twist or 2 in both dirrections on the buss cable just to see is worth while. It could be also that some cam designs are just a little more forgiving than others. I know my Icon is more sensitive to creep than the minimax on the Rival Pro. It sure don't hurt to find out.

18. Chris

I wouldn't really call this creep tuning but I understand what you are getting at. Adjusting the cable here will make minor changes to your nocking point, draw weight and will slightly change the cam rotation.

19. Chris

I've never tried to tiller tune a parallel limb bow. I wonder how it would react to this?