Cutting Carbon Shafts?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by flintforever, Aug 31, 2008.

1. flintforever

flintforever New Member

I pick up a few this morning on sale but need to cut and inserts installed
    I can use a epoxy for the inserts or what is recommended?
    I like to ask how to cut the carbon shaft what tool is used?
    I have a table wet saw with a diamond blade will it work?

2. Carbon 4 Runner

Carbon 4 Runner New Member

At least 5,000 rpm saw with carbon blade. Inserts I use hot expoxy glue with a hot gun, works great and I just heat the point to take the insert out. I think speed of the blade is the most important thing in cutting carbon arrows.

3. flintforever

flintforever New Member

arrows

carbon blade ? I have one for my chop saw
    J@B WELD should work o.k. heat will break it loose
    thank you
    question about the shafts i pick up to day EASTON RAIDER 400
    1/2 doz for $22.00 any one have any info on the shafts seem it could be no longer made older model discontinue

4. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

For cutting I use a 8000 rpm saw with a 3in cutting blade. I hear some guys make a jig and use a dreamil tool.

For inserts I cut, then use a brass bore brush to rough up the inside of the arrow shaft, Clean with Denatured Alcohol with a q-tip, mix up my epoxy coat both the inside of shaft then the insert, install insert with a twisting motion, set insert firmly by pushing it down on a hard surface wipe off uneeded glue, let set over night. and they are ready to shoot.

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

The drimel tool will work but it can be real hard to cut them square. If you don't have a high speed saw to cut the you might try a local pro shop. It doesn't matter how cheap you got them, if you screw them up they are worthless.

6. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I got a saw off ebay for 40.00 incl. s+h. " mini cut off saw. " They have nicer ones too for more money. I have to measure and mark each shaft to length, but it produces a square cut easily, if I take my time. I use a scotch bright "fine" pad to clean up the end after the cut, and a 270 bore brush chucked up in my cordless drill to score the inside of the shaft. I blow the dust out and clean the inner and outer shaft with 90% or better rubbing alcohol (Meijer pharmacy) and a Q tip. I use the same glue I use for for fletching(Goat Tough) and I've never had an insert loosen up or come out, even when I spent 15 min. working a 100 grain Thunderhead out of an oak tree.:doh: I enjoy assembling my own arrows. I hope you do too.