Cwd?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Oct 5, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha i was checking the game laws in VA.
    I need some help.
    They say it is aganist the law to bring a deer head into the state of Virginia If it was comming from NY,WVA,ILL,MN,Texas
    Because of the threat of CWD (Cronic waisting Diease)
    They say you can bring in de-boned packaged meat and the horns but not the head or carcass.
    You could bring in also a taxidermist mount too but no just killed gutted deer from these states.
    Have yall heard of this before?:noidea:

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I have not personally heard of this but I believe the disease resides in the spinal fluid and bone marrowof the affected animal. I heard last year that alot of the processors will not cut thru the bones of a deer in this part of the country. They will de-bone the deer but that's it. I don't know for sure about all of the processors but I have talked to a couple and all they do is de-bone. I process all of my own and I just grind the meat and make sausage.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this stuff is so nasty....no amount of heat or chemicals can kill this stuff......
    I can understand their thought process behind the no bring the deer heads in.....

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Never heard of that but we do have a 'special' hunt for unfilled tags the end of January in Winnebago, Boone, McHenry, Ogle and DeKalb counties that CWD is present and measured.
    CWD is not in my area at all. Illinois has no restriction on moving dead deer betwen counties that I am aware of. There is nothing in the regulations for 2007-2008 on that...

Ron

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No brains or bones...The CWD is found mainly in the bone marrow and brain matter...right now we have a study going on in 4 counties...They have found CWD in a few herds...
    Bad stuff...
    They also warn about processing deer with a band saw...it can spread the marrow into the meat...:noidea:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the scary part is that no one knows too much about it......

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

And this is nothing new...the first case was an elk in Colorado in 1967 if I remember right...so 40 yrs later and they still don't know how to control it...

8. Scablands

Scablands Member

The last game processor in this area, 50 mi. away, only accepts boned out meat now. A few years ago someone brought them an infected cow. :mad:

9. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

cwd is not to far off from mad cow. i know that wis. has it in there deer population and in mich. were all on the look out for it hoping it wont make it here. we already have a problem with bovine tuberculosis in our heard.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

I talked to my huntclub president and we read the VGIF (Virginia game and inland fisheries)Bylaws and its true.
    I talked to my brother and hes calling the outfitter in Pike county ILL.
    About us taking the heads back to the taxidermist in VA. and what other option's.:noidea:
    Im glade that the heads can come into va from OHIO thats the first hunt in 3 weeks.:biggrin1: