Darn Birds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by STRO, Apr 28, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I've been out the past two mornings and have seen the same 20 birds each day. They are all roosting together, fly down together and hang out in ,of course, the neigbors corn field. I did have a jake at 20 yards yesterday but today only two hens came in to 25 yards. I did not take a shot at him because there were 5 or 6 good size gobblers just across the fence line on the neighbors property line about 60 yards away. Yesterday I watched these birds from 6 to 10 in the morning as they just hung around in the flock and wandered from one side of the field to the other. Usually about an hour after they fly down they seperate and the fun begins. They are not seperating this year until after 10 o'clock. All I can do is watch these birds meander around this cornfield from anywhere from 60 to 300 yards away. They are not responding to calls, decoys, nothing. I wonder if it is the colder weather we have had lately. It is getting frustrating but I can't wait to get out tomorrow.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Sounds like fun. You will figure em out pretty soon I'm sure.:peace: Good luck tomorrow.

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hard huntin toms

Ha, clove
    I went fishin at my hunt club on the creek bank while my son was chasin toms around the woods, they are split down here but the huntclub members have tagged 6 with a gun, hard for me to top that with bow.

Ill tell ya a trick that works for me when there togeather & not seperated yet.
    2 or more decoys,( i use 2 hen's & 1 gobbler) a push-pin box & a mouth yelper.
    Sneek up in the dark as close as possible i get at least 200yds or closer.
    while there still on the roost, set-up decoys 20yds from a big tree or pitch a blind. tree yelp to them real soft, every 2 to 5 minutes in the dark where u can barely see, then after about 25minutes get louder & less every 5 min.
    if you get a gobble out of the tree you got his attention!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now get real crazy start using the push-pin in a yelp while kakling at him in a very excited way like your a group of hen's that want to get bread.
    Get ready ive done this alot killed so many toms i cant count, they will either 50/50 fly down with the flock or fly stright at your setup, the way you can tell if its to dark to see one bird will take off & you wont here another one.
    They say it's almost impossible to get them to cross a river or large creek
    This trick will do it from the roost, good luck :biggrin1:

4. STRO

Looks like the turkeys won this weekend. The closest the birds got to me today was 70 yards and still on the neighbors corn field. This is the first year in many years that the birds are hanging up on the other property. No one has hunted this property before this weekend. They did seperate from the flock early today so I thought it was going to be a good day. They did respond a little bit to the calls today but just wouldn't come close enough and cross that line. I guess it's still a good day, saw 23 birds and was in the woods. I can try it again in two weeks.

5. Tyson-legolas

Tyson-legolas Junior Member

big boar

i was out of town last week by myself going for a hunting outing trying to shoot wasscaly wabbits when a big boar came through the scrub so tride to sink an arrow into him good shot through both lungs mmmmm bacon!!!!!!:boxing: :cool:

6. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Was out on Saturday morning, had some gobbling at first light but none came in. After about 2 hours of sittin we went up over the hill overlooking a field and there they were, 3 gobblers full struttin for 5 hens. We set up and tried everything we had but could not pull them off those hens. Had a good time though with my little guy, first turkey hunt.

7. STRO

This thread is about turkeys, Looks like you are the turkey for hijaking.:mad: