Deflection!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Liv2Bowhunt, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

I have killed three deer witht he MX3's. the first doe I killed was a pass through, but it was back through the liver, o.k. i gut shot her, but the arrow went straight through and she only went 100 yards. The second doe i killed I know the arrow deflected off a rib, but it deflected toward the heart and eventually passed through, she went about a 150 yards. I shot a buck last night, and I really don't think he was quartering as much as the final result showed, i really think it deflected again, but it didn't make it through the hide in the opposite shoulder. He didn't go far,only about 75 yards, but it was very difficult finding him. All three deer had tremendous damage, but I never had so much deflection with a broadhead. Just food for thought.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I wouldnt worry about it, although I am gonna stick w/regular 100 4 blades, i got the blades for free so, it would be silly to switch when they work so well anyway.....

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Yeah, shooting shoulders isn't a good plan with archery tackle, no matter what broadheads you are shooting!

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

he wasnt "planning" for a shoulder shot, the deer was quartering and he hit the shoulder on the OPPISITE side.....:noidea:

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Generally when you take a quartering away shot you aim for the back of the opposite side leg.....if you hit too far forward you end up slamming your broadhead into that opposite shoulder resulting in a minimal blood trail. An exit behind the opposite side shoulder and an arrow stuck in the opposite shoulder is the difference between a 40 yard track and a 100 yard track. Still both very dead deer, you just have to look a little harder for your deer with out pass thru's!

6. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

The angle the deer was at should have been a pass through, but it deflected into the opposite shoulder. I could be wrong, maybe he was quartering more than i thought, but either way, i got him.:peace:

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Thats all that matters!