Determining the right arrow

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by biggobbler51, Jul 31, 2008.

1. biggobbler51

biggobbler51 New Member

I ended up buying the same bow I used about 6-8 yrs back which is a Golden Eagle with an 80% let off 45-60 lb draw weight and 30 in draw length. I have been off the circuit of bow shooting for those 6-8 yrs and need help in finding what I need in the correct arrow. What I shot years back was the Easton XX75 2117 arrow would that be the same now or has technology changed that much that I'd prob need a different arrow? As for archery shops I'm down here in the sticks and don't know of any even close to this area. I am moving back to southern MO not long from now I know they have shops there but I want to get ready for this fall season. Anyone got any ideas for the correct arrow? Thanks

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Need a little more info than what you have provided to really narrow it down. We need to know the actual draw weight you will be shooting the bow at. I am assuming your gonna shoot it at 60lbs? If so the 2117 with a 29 inch arrow will work fine. Here's a link to the Easton shaft selector all you have to do is plug in the specs you will be shooting and it will give you your options to choose from.... Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.... http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

You might consider carbons as well.

4. biggobbler51

biggobbler51 New Member

Bullfiddle

With the bad shoulder I have I'll prob end up shooting 50 lbs. 30" seemed to be the draw length for me all the years I shot a bow. This bow I have now has one of those loops like where you'd normally just hook the release onto the string can I use any release using those things? My other bow didn't have one and I've never used one before.

5. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

The Loops help with shot consistency and yes you can use any release with them as long as your release fits onto the loop with the arrow nocked. I have a small D-loop so a larger release will not work. One thing to notice with the loop is that your anchor points will change since you are adding length to where you contact the string. Make sure to get plenty of shots in as you will more than likely have to relocate your anchor points.

Look into the carbon arrows, not sure if they were around 6-8 years ago but most everyone uses them now. A little more expensive but well worth the cost in durability.

6. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Your draw length should change a little, because of the loop. I use the TRU Ball Pro Diamond release. It's very adjustable, quiet, and stays on the string while stand hunting. Cost is 80 to 120.00 depending on how you shop. Which release you choose will affect your draw length, also. The draw length should be adjusted after you choose a release, if you decide to use one. Also the string loop will need to be adjusted up or down, like you would adjust any nocking point, after you change the draw weight. :welcome:

7. biggobbler51

biggobbler51 New Member

Loop

Is it really any better having that loop on it ? This would be the first time having one on a bow for me but I never had any probs without one either. What I had for a release years back was a Winn's Free Flite I loved that one but i really haven't found a release I haven't like either. I thought about taking that loop off of the bow because I don't have an archery store handy in this area and I can't be running 40 miles to the nearest one all the time either plus I like the anchor point being right at the corner of my mouth too.

8. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

The D-loop is effective in giving a more consistent release of the arrow from the string. The loop also protects your string from wear and tear of the release and those rubber stops are no longer needed which are usually placed between the bottom of the arrow nock and your release, with spares. A slow motion video of the two styles would show the difference. If you used a kisser button on your old bow as an anchor point for the corner of your mouth, using a loop will not have an effect! The loop will effect your anchor point only if you use a spot on your face, like your jaw, earlobe, etc. Using a kisser button, peep, and sight gives you all the points you need to be consistent.

If the d-loop makes you feel a little long on your draw then adjust your draw length shorter by half and inch and that should take care of it. The d-loop will NOT have an effect on the actual draw length of the bow.

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

IF your only shooting 50 lb's the Easton chart says that you should be shooting a 2212, 2213, or 2018. The weight of the arrow increases with the 2212 being the lightest to the 2018 being the heaviest. If you are considering the Carbon shafts from Easton I recomend the ST Axis there a bit more expensive but they are tough as nails and you don't have to worry about bending them. With the Carbon shafts there is really no in between either they are good to shoot or they are broken or cracked. If you decide to use the carbon you need to look at the 500 spine. All of these were configured with you using a 100 grain broadhead. If you decide to shoot a heavier or lighter broadhead you will need to check the chart again for the proper arrow size. Hope this helps...:peace:

10. biggobbler51

biggobbler51 New Member

Bullfiddle

Thanks thats the info I was looking for. Being disabled but being harder to walk these days makes it hard to go anywhere looking for what I want and not being able to stand for very long periods of time makes it harder too. The info you just gave me I should have no problem getting things going again I do remember alot of what I did back years a few years ago when I hunted alot also and do have some of the accessories I need also. Thanks to everyone else too I appreciate the time and effort put in to help me out. I appreciate friends too bad all mine left when I left eastern Iowa so nowdays I've gotta fend for myself. It's sure no fun hunting alone well not for me anyway always nice comparing notes on the way back home from a morning or a days hunt. Thanks Again!!