DL question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hook Em, May 6, 2008.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

if you go from shooting a release to shooting fingers, would you need to lengthen the draw? Even if you use a thumb trigger release..?? Or would it be about the same. I want to convert a bow to a fishing bow....

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

The correct draw length will put the nock of the arrow under you aiming eye. When that happens, your bows draw length is set properly. It does not matter if you use fingers, a wrist strap or a t-handle, the bow should be left alone. You will just adjust your anchor point. :thumb:

3. Hook Em

I know where the nock should be....I am just wondering if switching from a release to fingers causes you to make the draw a little longer. It is hard for me to tell because it is Pink's bow and it is too short for me with or without!

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

How are you going to make the bow draw longer than it is set to draw? The bow is set to a specific draw length unless it is a recurve or a bow with no back wall.:D

5. Hook Em

It has a 27" draw mod on there so I was gonna slap the 28" on there....I figured we may both be able to use it, thus eliminating the need to buy a different rig for me!!:D

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

So what you want to know is if Pink can shoot the 28" bow with fingers and you shoot it with a releas and both be comfortable?

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just change your anchor point. DL should stay. JMHO:peace:

8. Hook Em

now we are speaking the same language!!

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You'll probably have a slight bend in your bow arm elbow and pink will probably have to stretch a little to get it to full draw, but I'd say it would probably work.

I wouldn't try to shoot a Vegas round with it or anything....:biggrin1:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Not even from your 7 yard range??:noidea: :lol:

11. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Now that's a different story all together Frank.......:biggrin1:

12. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Here is something I found many years ago that might help answer your question. A release hooks to the string over a short span whereas with fingers the string is wrapped around three of them, causing a larger radius. Due to this a finger shooter has to adjust the draw length of a bow about 3/4" to 1" longer than he would were he shooting a release.

I found this out about 33 years ago when I went from fingers to release. The bow was just too long. I was overstretched and had to shorten the bow. I was shooting 28 3/8" back then with fingers. After changing to a release I had to shoot 27 1/2" and during the years I've learned more and now shoot just about 27".

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........FINALLY, I wondered if anyone was gonna get it right.......:rockon: