dont ever buy arrows from ebay!!!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by diamond-vic., Dec 29, 2006.

1. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

hey guys. i bought a dozen goldtip arrows off of ebay a month or so ago, well today i was shooting and when i went to pull my arrows out of my block, 3 outs 4 inserts pulled right out of the arrow and stayed in the target. the guy i bought from said he glued the inserts in. you get what u pay for i guess. ive only shot about each arrow about 50 times. looks like ive got some work to do tonight

2. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I had a buddy that bought some PSE carbon arrows from Gander Mountain and the next day we were shooting and the same thing happened to him. I asked him why he had the guys at gander cut them and glue 'em and he said because he was there and they cut them for free. I told him I would cut them off at work and put them in for him next time, I would'nt let those guys wax my string. I am not saying that I know more than them but I have heard to many horror storys from guys that have taken there stuff there to let them touvh my stuff. guess I got off track thanks for the heads up!

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what type of glue was used, where the ends of the shafts roughed up and cleaned out?? was the person in a hurry??

lots of things could have contributed to this problem

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Lesson learned.............no one will take care of your stuff like you. But until I get the proper tools to do my own work I will keep on trusting my 15 year old Bow Technician. He is fabulous at tuning and building strings and arrows. I hope to learn alot from him. If anyone is ever on the AT chat his signon is WP BOWMASTER. I am hoping when he graduates in a few years he can open his own shop while going to college. Sorry for the rambling Diamond-Vic.:focus:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Actually (and I'm not defending them... but). Depending on the glue used and the way the inserts were put in they can easily pull out, especially on Bag targets.

I know a lot of guys use the "epoxy" glue, its junk. so is the Fletchtite Platinum insert glue... also trash, some other guys use that compound stuff that you heat up and roll on... that stuff is awesome if you do it right

I've found that with gold tips the best thing to use is Goat Tuff (the EXACT same stuff you use for fletchings).

Good luck re-doing them.

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

If you use Epoxy you need to use the slow set epoxy, which slowly works it's way into the nooks and crannys of the arrow shaft and insert. If you try and use 15 minute or 30 minute Epoxy you will likely have a lot of problems. I use Ace Hardware slow set which takes 24 hours to cure completely.

Easton has a new quick setting adhesive that is supposed to be really good for any type of insert. Never tried it though.

Ron

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

we use 24 hour epoxy at the shop......the only arrows we ever have trouble w/is Carbon Impact.....the inserts fit loosly.....guess thats why they are $60 a dozen.....(junk)

8. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I just go to Farm & Fleet and get some sportsmans epoxy. Not sure how long it takes to dry. I always wait 24 hrs. anyway. Seems to work real well and have never had any problems with it.