draw length for compound vs. recurve?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by KyuZo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if the draw length for a recurve is the same as the draw length for a compound?
    thanks

2. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I don't believe that recurves necessarily have a draw length. I believe what you are looking at is something like this:

58# @ 28"
    or
    58# / 28"

This means the bow has been tested and rated for 58 pounds when drawn to a 28" draw length. That draw length then should be measured the same way whether it be recurve or compound.

Hope this helps
    Clem

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep should be...or darn close...
    I draw 29" on a compound and around 28" on a recurve...

4. cape buffalo

cape buffalo New Member

recurve bows you have about a 2inch differents thier not the same ive hunt with both for over 30yrs i have a 30inch draw for compounds and 28 on a recurve.recurves will stack if bow draw length is to short for you and if it not a good bowmaker .when you shoot a recurve you draw the bow back different and shoot it different. best thing to do is find a dealer who deals in recurves and test different bows out.i shoot a hubu and zippers, blackwidow and greatplains.shafters silvertips these are the bow i like best i have shot and owned of 50 differrent recurves..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep recurves are built with a standard DL of 28" unless special ordered to a specific DL...so when you see 40# @ 28" you can draw that bow 26-30 then it's just +3# per inch over or -3# per inch under 28" so (46# @ 30")

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

It may also depend on you and the bow to some degree, and the release you use for the compound. For me, with the compound, I like a bow set to 28.5-29 plus the loop using and index finger release. For the recurve I draw 29-29.5, using the tip of my index finger to the corner of the mouth as part of the anchor. I think everyone may be just a little different depending on the above and your physical build. Also, the draw weight of the recurve may influence you into not drawing to full form if it's to heavy a draw weight. To light and it may let you cheat too much by over drawing.