Draw Length Question...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I recently went to my local archery shop and got fitted for my new Apex 7...but I have a question. I pulled a 29" dl, it was too long so he said I would be somewhere between 28 and 28.5. Rather than giving me a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop to feel...he gave me a 28.5 and just had me attach my stinger to the string....it felt PERFECT. So, he said, "You are a 28" dl...with the 1/2" it makes you a 28.5.

What I think is that the STRING needs to be 28.5, and the d-loop then goes farther back, because the string length doesn't GROW as you get a longer d-loop. So when I held the 28.5" dl...the string came right accross the tip of my nose like it should, I felt very comfortable...but if I get a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop...the string isn't going to cross the same point...it is short now, so I would have to lean my head forward to reach it now wouldn't I? I've attached a rough drawing to show my point...is this correct?

View attachment 10805

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Nice pics there :D

I say go with whatever is the most comfortable for you. If you are not comfortable you could develop bad habits :noidea:

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

according to that picture you are anchoring way to low....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

When I saw that pic, all i could do is :pound:

I think this was discussed about a year ago. Umm, No it does not add to the total drawlength, just how far your hand will be when anchored.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

But if your hand is anchored too far back and uncomfortable, wouldn't it be a good idea to shorten the DL a little to be comfortable and more accurate? Anchor Point is a VERY important part of shooting!

6. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

might not add to DL, but your arm got WAAAY longer in the second pic :biggrin1:

7. boone

boone New Member

your draw length still sounds to long.

[=swintj1;184395]I recently went to my local archery shop and got fitted for my new Apex 7...but I have a question. I pulled a 29" dl, it was too long so he said I would be somewhere between 28 and 28.5. Rather than giving me a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop to feel...he gave me a 28.5 and just had me attach my stinger to the string....it felt PERFECT. So, he said, "You are a 28" dl...with the 1/2" it makes you a 28.5.

What I think is that the STRING needs to be 28.5, and the d-loop then goes farther back, because the string length doesn't GROW as you get a longer d-loop. So when I held the 28.5" dl...the string came right accross the tip of my nose like it should, I felt very comfortable...but if I get a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop...the string isn't going to cross the same point...it is short now, so I would have to lean my head forward to reach it now wouldn't I? I've attached a rough drawing to show my point...is this correct?

View attachment 10805 [/QUOTE]

8. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Well, wheely, if you put a 1foot dloop on your bow, would it be uncomfortable?!?!? :pound:

If you would put your draw to 23", then put a 5.5 inch d loop on it, would it be different? Yes, Your going to have to lean way into the bow just to get to your kisser button, if you have a 28.5 draw and put a 1/4 inch dloop on it, is there going to be any difference? No, Your drawlenght is going to be the same no matter what, no matter how long your dloop is, its just getting it to that right comfy position for how you like your hand placement when at full draw....IF that made any sense:noidea: :D

9. bwiz

bwiz New Member

picture

Are you as thin as your picture???:laugh:

10. Have them set it up both ways so you can see which of the 2 feels best to you, this way there is no second guessing and then it will be on you which of the 2 you choose.

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

I guess it depends on what feel is more important to you. The touch of the string, or the hand placement, or how your shoulders are set. There's alot that goes into a DL. I would just shoot the 28 for a bit and see how it goes. Don't sweat it just yet. You can mess with the loop a bit if hand and shoulders don't feel right. If your release type is adjustable, you can play with it too. I know the Apex is said to run a 1/2" long, don't know about the A7. Was it an A7 that they had you try? OOPS.. congrats, you'll love it!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008