Draw Weight For Children

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by mauiguava, Sep 2, 2006.

1. mauiguava

mauiguava Guest

I want my grandchildren to be involved in archery. Since there are no archery shops here on Maui, I must rely on this forum. The bows I have seen online have been around 15#. What ages would this DW fit? NO, none of my grandchildren are 6'8". Is there a fitting procedure (like for draw length) for draw weight? I am looking at the pse scamp type and not the stick type bows.
    Anyone, please.
    Francis

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

First let me say welcome to the forum.

There isn't any magic equation that I know of to determine draw weight. It comes down to personal preference and use of the bow. For a first bow to shoot target 15# may be fine, too heavy and the child may get discouraged and feel like practice is too much work. My friends son is 11, about 4'8"@100# and he shoots a 20#@18" english style longbow 48" long. I'm not sure what his draw length is, possibly 20" so that's around 25#. He's pretty comfortable with it. I don't know if any of this was helpful, but I hope so.

Ed

3. mauiguava

mauiguava Guest

Thanks for the reply. My oldest grandson is 10 yrs old, 5' tall and hefty. The example of your friend's son is a great starting point. I really appreciate you responding.

Yes, please support our troops especially with prayers. I just got word from my son two days ago that he will be re-deployed to Iraq--this will be his third trip. Since he is a combat Navy medic, you know he will be in the thick of things with the Marines.

Francis

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I'm glad I could help.

I thank your son for his service and hope all our troops return home safe. I grew up near a small air base in Newburgh, NY(Stewart Field) and have many friends in the service.