draw weight? how long...?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by KyuZo, Apr 9, 2008.

1. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

How long does it take to build up to 70 lbs? if i started out shooting pretty well at 62 lbs, then should i buy a bow that is 70 lbs? or 60 lbs?
    i mean if i can start out with 62 lbs, then i can slowly build up to 70 lbs right?
    so i m thinking about getting a 70 lbs.
    what do u think?

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I wouldn't worry about draw weight too much. A 60# bow is going to max out right about where you are and the efficiency loss by shooting a #70 bow there isn't very significant so going with a 70# would be fine. On the other hand most people could shoot that draw weight forever and have no need for any more. The next bow I get will be a 60# one.

3. Fasst

Fasst Bring on the Pain

I agree with db.....and also remember, just because you can shoot 62 comfortably and may go to 70 comfortably, does not mean you can shoot 70 effectively in your hunting clothes in cold weather twisted in an awkward direction.....lol (this is assuming you will be hunting)

4. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

thanks for all your inputs. i think that i am going to go with the 60# bow.
    I can shoot 65# and it's heavy, but i can easily shoot with 60#. I don't want to work up to 70# and stop shooting for a while and then have to work up to it again. with 60# i can always shoot it comfortably.

5. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

A wise decision. That's about where I run as well.