drop away rests

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by QDAWG44, Jun 6, 2007.

1. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

Hey guys, Im probably one of the last to switch over, but how important is a drop away rest? I know the purpose of them, and it makes great sense. I shoot a quiktune 3000 tm style right now, But I use quickspin vanes and you cant helicle them. I know drop away's are for fletchings with a strong helicle for rest clearance for added accuracy. Soo how important is it for me to use a drop away when I dont helicle my vanes anyway. I purchased a smart rest drop away from Quality Archery Products company. Expensive little s#%t, and I am debating on taking it back. watcha think, thanks boys oh, and how many guys shoot Gold Tip, I just grabbed a dozen of XT's even though I wanted the Pro Hunters, is there much difference.

2. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I will withhold opinion on the rest. Others are better informed. The Gold Tip Pro is a great arrow. I used XT Hunters for years, but really saw a tightening of the group when I switched to the Pro. Now I use them for hunting and 3D. The Expedition is trash. Its' all a matter of Quality Control sorting. The best become Pro, then XT Hunter, then what's left goes Expedition. I think the Pro is worth the $100 a dozen they cost, and in the future I hope you are patient and get your Pro shop to order them. Try Lancaster Archery on the web. they will have them in stock, and send them off quick. Don't settle for a lesser arrow just because it is in stock.

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Are you hunting with the rest or target shooting with it?

4. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

I am mostly bowhunting and the rest is an Ultra rest by QAD

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I use a Ripcord for hunting. I like the full containment if offers and I like the drop away over the whisker biscuit for my own reasons. Drop aways, when set up properly, are very accurate at hunting distances. I myself would not use a drop away for hunting unless it offered full containment. I have used the Cobra drop-away, and it is just as accurate as any, but I like the peace of mind I get when I can **** my launcher up and know the arrow is there until I let it go.

If you are wanting to shoot 3-D or any other form of target archery, just look through a magazine and see what all the pros are shooting. The majority are using some sort of fixed lizard tongue or spring steel. There is a reason for that. However, I would not want to try to draw on a deer out of a tree stand with a spring steel.....:biggrin1:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Let me clean up my language and rephrase that. I like the peace of mind I get when I can male game bird my launcher up and know the arrow is there until I let it go.

Now that is much better isn't it...:biggrin1:

7. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

I use a drop-away(ripcord) for hunting and 3-d. (Well, I do right now, but it changes a lot! lol)

8. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I thought you sold - bought another - sold - bought another - sold - bought anoter - and sold your ripcord months ago:biggrin1:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah but your forgot he sold it:doh: :doh:

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Drop away!

Your not the last to change over!
    I still use a Fang on all my bows!
    I just have to tune right!:laugh:

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I am still usin a Lizard tongue. yup 23 years and they are still producing good scores and plenty of deers.

I am of tha opinion that if ya got something on a bow tha is gonna give ya trouble ya don't need it.
    cuz sooner or latter it will.
    Lot of this stuff is ta start a fad and git people ta buy it.

We had a rest called a Banner. Drop away back in tha mid 80's still got tha thing works off of string shock. does a good job had more money than sense and was curious ta try and improve my scores. didnt help a bit but was a good rest.
    Just pray that is is not on a 10 pointer or that shoot that ya need ta make ta win tha big one.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah everybody watch out....smokes says there a fad....better sell um now....so oh guru of the rests what do you think we should do.....get some flipper rests and go to town.....:noidea: :laugh:

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

HA,There!

Right, smokes!
    IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!:biggrin1:

Ive also been shootin the same 25years.
    After a 10 year layoff from tournaments.
    I shot a 285 out of 300 came in 4th not bad for an old guy shootin aginst 20 to 30 year old kids with there $2000 set-ups & there drop-away rest and all.
    They said, who is that old man burnin up the coarse!:laugh:
    They were followin me in,i was the last in pro division & they were sweatin
    They knew i was there!:cool:
    Theres another shoot there on the 16th ill be there.:cool:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you guys heard it here first......

smokes and kbo say.....

when it comes to drop away's....no way...

cant work...dont try it....

all them pros cant be right.....

who cares about problems w/flight....

if your off your mark

it must be your sight.......

(you have to read like a poem to see the humor):laugh:

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I love this saying.....sounds like a good ole boy club.....dont change what is working no mater how ineffecient it is.....until someone gets hurt or even worse....:tape:

16. Holy Smokes

yup thats tha way they keep ya spending yore $$$$.

No you wisecrack, I did not say git ya a flipper rest them things had their day and I never did have confidence in them but somebody made a ton of $$$ with em.

But I will say thank you for allow me ta be tha rest guru. I guess that comes with age huh:biggrin1:

17. Holy Smokes

Go git em.. you old man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Had themboys I was shootin with a wonderin where this old man larned ta shoot . as well finished 8th over all out of 60 shooters.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Hay there!

Ha,bowman
    I never said and would never say drop away dont work, they do work.

I said ,I DONT NEED THEM!
    I DONT NEED A $2000 BOW with all the new gadgets on the market to be competitave!
    So your saying you do?:laugh:

If you dont believe me go to:shoots type in zipcode:23120 find dixebowman club & look in may openclass 4th place
    Any time you want to see my scores the club post them on this sight.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

8th out of 60???? thats pretty good.......oh no, I am shaking now...what ever will I do atthe R-100???:noidea:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

maybe.......:biggrin1: