Easton Axis FullMetalJackets

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by glenny, Mar 15, 2006.

1. glenny

glenny Senior Member

I am really needing some feedback on these arrows,I will be getting some to try hunting with this year.
    Just want to see what anyone has found yet.
    I would think that these shafts would be the way to go.
    I hope I made the right decision,as far as I have heard/found out from others,I have.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. 3dhunter

3dhunter Member

FMJ's

These are basically ACC shafts turned inside out, and a little less expensive. They should work just fine for what ever you use them for. I've used ACC's for years and love them.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

They should be a little tougher/more durable than the ACC shafts. The carbon wall is thicker than ACCs.

4. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Little heavier arrow, and gives awesome penatration. Great durability. Friend of mine shoots them and swears by em.

MoBowman ```--------->

5. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Humm..... intersesting things here, i bought 1/2 doz of these pry 6 months ago, man thier cool!!! I was going to dial them in for hunting, so havent shot them yet, after some feedback from my local shooting hole i see some problems, I guess the carbon inside is streight not a spiral weave, their were several guys that had the carbon split on the inside and swear they didnt have any hard hits, caused the arrow spline to weaken and then they group like crap, Humm got me thinkin about things, I would like to look at the arrow and find damage, Its impossable with these, so i desided to givem a try anyways, when putting my broad heads on last weekend, 3 fit really tight and wouldnt screw in to easy, after looking for something in the end and running a tap into the threads, thinking they had something binding the head, found nothing their, heads were still hard to screw in, so i got out the calipers and put in the end of the shaft, and turned it, this told me the problem!!! The inside of the shaft is NOT round, the carbon fiber is screwed up, thicker on 1 side, the outside was ok, but the inside was out of round, was not out a ton, but was enough to make the head screw in tight, Will this cause a accuracy problem??????????I couldnt believe it!!! I really hope i just got a bad batch of them, im sure that they were ran though all the tests and such, but ill tell ya, Im going back the accs, never had any trouble with them. I have heard that alot of people like them though. but i wont be putting any game in the freezer with them!!

6. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Man thats depressing! I think I am gonna stay with my Axis at least for this season. Maybe by the time I have to buy new hunting arrows All the bugs will be worked out if there are any

7. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I will be hunting with the FMJs this fall. I like what I have seen so far. Time will tell if there is really a problem with them. For the cost of them, they better not have any problems.

8. CSQMONTANA

CSQMONTANA Junior Member

Easton Axis Hit

I Have Been Shooting Easton Axis For The Last Year. But If You Hit Something Hard The Hidden Insert Will Fail And Shove The Feild Tip In To The Arrow. I Have Had This Happen Three Times Shooting The Glen Del Buck. Easton Warrantied The Arrows But I Think There Is Definitly A Problem. I Would Hate This To Happen Hitting A Bone.i Was Thinking Of Swithching To Gold Tips. Has Anyone Else Had This Problem?

9. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Hummm something to think about their....

10. iowamatthewshunter

iowamatthewshunter Junior Member

I bought some AXIS arrows (not FMJ's) but I have shot them this 3D season and thought they were easily destructed. When tuning them in for hunting this spring I ruined two of them. I shot them attached to grim reaper broadheads (awesome best mech head ever made) into the Block and mushroomed the ends, and yes I had the adapter rings on. They did the job in oklahoma harvested one turkey and 250# hog. Both of these arrows broke in half also. I shot a metel plate and the AXIS broke into 4 pieces and the Gold tip broke into 2 pieces. I am going to shoot them this fall at deer just because I still have 10 of them. Next year I am going to change arrows__any ideas. I like the smaller diameter they fit nice into the rest, group well, and much crosswind effect (shoot blazers). I have not heard good things about the full metal jackets.

Matthews Switchback XT 70# 27" draw length

11. iowamatthewshunter

iowamatthewshunter Junior Member

Axis arrows

I bought some AXIS arrows (not FMJ's) but I have shot them this 3D season and thought they were easily destructed. When tuning them in for hunting this spring I ruined two of them. I shot them attached to grim reaper broadheads (awesome best mech head ever made) into the Block and mushroomed the ends, and yes I had the adapter rings on. They did the job in oklahoma harvested one turkey and 250# hog. Both of these arrows broke in half also. I shot a metel plate and the AXIS broke into 4 pieces and the Gold tip broke into 2 pieces. I am going to shoot them this fall at deer just because I still have 10 of them. Next year I am going to change arrows__any ideas. I like the smaller diameter they fit nice into the rest, group well, and not much crosswind effect (shoot blazers). I have not heard good things about the full metal jackets.

Matthews Switchback XT 70# 27" draw length

12. glenny

glenny Senior Member

I will let ya know...

I will be driving these shafts through a big buck here in two weeks....If I am in the right place at the right time,I guess.

Then I will vary well will see if they malfunction I guess.
    Ha.
    Hate to ruin the bad reputation they may be getting from others,but....
    I seem to be pleased so far with there rigidity,straitness,and the way they fly.
    The only one that broke on me was the one that was drilled from above from a treestand shooter in the same target we were shootin at,so.
    I am confident so far.

13. Frank

Frank Member

okay, has anyone actually used the fmj's in actual hunting situation? Or on a regular basis using them hard? I really would like honest feedback on the quality. I just recently switch from xx78's to carbons(PSE and Easton excels and now axis). Went rabbit hunting with the new Switchback Xt, 3 axis arrows destroyed :mad: . So maybe its time to switch to fmj's. The PSE xweave arrows cannot be shot thru cement blocks either.

And by the way, I did end up with 2 rabbits.:rockon:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

get some Maximas you cant go wrong, strong, light, and most important they shoot really nice....

15. Frank

Frank Member

Well, I went and bought the FMJ's a week ago. I have shot them daily into a bag target. There is a problem with these arrows:mad: . I shot the nock end of 1 arrow on Sat. breaking the nock and putting a slight mushroom at the end of the arrow. I could see the carbon core was fractured had the pro shop cut down end, well thought we were past fractures, refletched the arrow and began shooting it agian after a few shots the arrow started flying irradicley well I set it aside. Tonight I decided to examine arrow fractures are back. Well this got me very currious and started eximining others 3 out of the 6 have the fractures on nock end:mad: . Only 1 arrow impacted on nock end and they have only been shot into bag target. I wonder what Easton will do, the pro shop is just going get fed up with me. So what arrows now:decision: Maximas or black max elite.

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am not familier w/the black max elite.....who makes them?

17. Frank

Frank Member

The black max elite is made by beman.(striaghtness .001 wieght tolerance 2.0 the 400 spine is 9.6 grains/inch).

I like the bull nock collar on the maximas and that is probably be the next arrow I try, I thought the shaft size was a bigger diameter thou.

18. CoyoteHunter

CoyoteHunter Member

I have the FMJ 340 Cut to 26 1/2 inchs tiped with 125 slicktircks total arrow weight around 465 grains shooting them out of a 73 pound Trykon I dont know the arrow speed but I do know they hit like a sledgehammer I have taken 3 deer this year with them and have NO complaintes about them