EDS on the sts

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Colo_Lee, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

just put an sts on my bow about 3 weeks ago and the eds stopper has already ripped off has anybody else had a problem with the new eds stoppers?

I put on according the instruction that came with it it said the new eds could be touching the string I had it set up so that when yoou held the bow up to a light you could see a small gap never measured it but maybe a razor blade would fit betwwen the string and the eds

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

get some 2 part epoxy and let it sit for a while......they had a habit of coming off......

3. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

lol did that just before i posted to see if it works lol only other problem with that is the face (the end that the string hits) has a hole in it from the string hitting it. Its hell on the serving there lol Im also going to round the end of the shaft to see if that well help keep it from ripping

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I've read several posts on other sites that if the string isn't perfectly centered on the stopper...this will happen.I'm only repeating what i've read.

5. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

yep that is where the hole is from my string

6. IChim2

Contact sts and they would probably send you another at no cost.

7. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

yes I have done that and I have one coming but I was wondering if others have had this problem. If the eds's dont last very long I need to order a few extras until i can find a stopper that last longer then 3 weeks

8. IChim2

I don't know...meanv sells stoppers....seems to be good one's.Haven't had any trouble with mine...no sign of wear at all.

9. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

yep i was going to give him a call to see if his stoppers would fit the sts wanted to try his out first before i bought an sts but said he couldnt make one for the x-force so had to go with the sts

10. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

I have had similar problems in the past, too. What appears to be happening is that the stopper is actually moving sideways from the impact force of the string, allowing the string to go forward of the stopper along the side of the rod, and the return of the string pulls the stopper off of the rod. The only solution for high energy bows and/or high poundage/light arrows seems to be a "double stopper" type set up. I personally didn't like the STS double, so I made my own using vibekiller stoppers. Before I would tear up 1 stopper every week, since going to the double arrangement I have only just went thru the top stopper after about 2 months of LOTS of shooting. This setup also improved my left-right consistency of grouping, I believe that with the single alone the string was deflecting a bit on a slightly less than perfect release. IMHO an STS double should solve the problem. I hope this helps!:rockon:

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I set my sts up so that there was a small gap between the string and the stoppers, then I had my string served. No more gap and the stoppers are centered on the string. I'm using a double front mount and it works great, no problem with the device. I think your stoppers are too far from the string allowing it to vibrate against them.:noidea: Try moving them closer and see what happens.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have an original and a secondgeneration w/the eds......and have NEVER had an issue.....the original has been on my switchback from new...and the other has been on 3 different bows.....

13. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

thanks for the input guy

After reading HYTMANN thought i would give it a try. Went up to cabelas this morning and picked up a double but after i got home and looked at it Ive decide to do some fabrication on it going to mount one in the bottom riser as normal and make a block and mount the other one on the top above the shelf and see if that will help

14. IChim2

Ohhhhh so your copying the new Truth bow are ya..:nono: ......:lol:

15. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

:laugh: yep

16. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

We think alike:thumb: that is exactly how I set mine up as well and it seems to work fine, and looks cleaner too. On my bow I was able to modify the STS single block and the upper mount cable guide so that they fit together, providing a solid but adjustable place to mount the damper rod. Works well, but add a second set screw to the mounting block, there is a lot of energy being transfered because it is so close to the point of greatest movement on the string. Let me know how it works for ya!

17. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

You got any pics?

18. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

No not yet should have some by the end of the week if you want to see it

19. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Would love to, I'm thinking about doing the same thing.