elbows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by longcut36, Oct 7, 2007.

1. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

how many shot a b.t. and keep their elbow high. ever article I have read says you should. but I hold a lot steadier and the b.t. will go off smooth and easy if I keep my elbow more or less in line with my bow hand. just wondering if I am the only odd ball here.

2. rock monkey

rock monkey Junior Member

does it work for ya consistantly and reliably?

so whats the problem?

form is not about having someone's theoretical straight line. its about being consistant and repeatable without deviation from YOUR norm. there are things that can be fixed like an overbent elbow, hand positioning, and anchorpoint.

the world's best female pro had atrocious form if you went by someone elses opinion. funny how her 'bad' form allowed her to win vegas 7 times and forced the nfaa/waf to keep women from competing against men

3. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I don't plan on changing anything about my form. I was at a tournament a while back and this "expert" kept telling me I should raise my elbow more. after I point out I had him by 9 points he shut up. I was wondering how many go by the book, and how many think for them self. you are right. form is putting it in the X not how good you look.

4. rock monkey

the high elbow that most back tension shooters have has a function. it allows for proper scapular rotation when using the rhomboids. in english, it allows the draw arm's shoulder blade to rotate just enuff to get the release to fire when using the muscles located in the center of the shoulder blades on either side of the spine.

there is no 'right way' to shoot a 'hook'. just some methods more preferred by others.

granted there are some widespread form flaws that start right from the beginning because someone saw someone else do it because they shoot some certain brand of bow.

bent arm........stupid and the beginning of a laundry list of form problems. try shooting with your knees bent. bet ya cant do it very long and consistantly each time. still dont belive me?, do a half pushup and hold it. tell ya what....doing em in the military sucked, and thats basically what a bent arm accomplishes.

if you're worried about hitting your arm, look higher up your arm. shoulder position has more to do with hitting your arm than your elbow. dont believe me?......lean up against a wall and put all your weight on that supporting arm. after about 15 mins, look down your arm and take note of where your shoulder lines up with your elbow and your elbow to your wrist. all the bones are in a line, shoulder is down and into the socket...where it should be. 80% of hitting the arm problems come from rolling the shoulder in. why do some do it?...longer drawlength.........only if the arm is straight.

what is the single biggest question everyone hears when someone sees a new bow? how fast is it? well, shooting with a bent arm takes away from that all important drawlength. longer draw, more speed......see how that works? guess those that teach bent arm philosophy missed that day in bow class.

as you can tell, im not a fan of some 'popular' ideas of coaching. i do believe in teaching the fundamentals right from the start, but each archer will tailor the fundamentals to their specific physiology. as long as the foundation is solid, everything else will fall into place.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shoot bent arm.......and ask some of the guys that I shoot with.....I do pretty good......:noidea:

but I think you have helped me to decide to give up archery completly.....:doh:

6. rock monkey

bunny guy,

im not saying it CANT be done, but for overall consistancy for the average moe, it makes things that much harder. there ARE really good shooters with a bent arm, but it takes more work to perfect it than someone that shoots a straight arm. the average moe doesnt want to invest the time it takes to be that kinda consistant.

me, i shoot straight arm, as best i can. when i was a kid, i broke my bow arm elbow, and now it hyper-extends. i have to have some physical control over it, but it still takes less physical and mental energy to shoot that way as compared to bent.

there is no cookie cutter, stick figure rule about form, each person is individual, and bodies work differently. it is up to that person to develope a form that works best for them that is consistant and repeatable.

it just makes things easier to teach the fundamentals and let the archer figure out the shortcuts for themselves. easier to find flaws that creep in and manifest themselves.

7. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I have never read where you should put your elbow high to shoot BT. In fact if you don't have your wrist and hand straight it is hard to make it go off. You should not have your elbow really high anyway...puts everything off. I actually catch myself putting my elbow up a bit high and have to bring it down. I had one of our expert shooters watch for just that one night and I had to force elbow down a bit and it does help.

On the bent arm issue...I've read that you can do either straight or slightly bent. You don't want to bend alot just a little, I can't hold well if it's bent too much and you won't fine the pro's bending much. Some do straight and some bend slightly.

If that is your current arm form in your avatar picture I'd say that is way too high. Nothing to do with looks, just to do with execution. People can always make something work, but I personally would want to do it more correctly if I could.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  8. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

here is a couple of pictures that were in the NFAA archery magazine about form. I was wondering how many shoot with a high elbow. I do better with mine low. not trying to start an argument. just want to up my score all I can.

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Your elbow doesn't look very low in your avatar pic. :noidea: