expandable Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by runningbear15, Nov 9, 2006.

1. runningbear15

runningbear15 Junior Member

Has anyone tested out any expandables. Does any one hunt with them? I just want to dig up some information on them.

2. buckkiller_06

buckkiller_06 Member

I am friends with a guy that is one of the most popular bow sales men around here and he shot spitfires they malfunctioned alot then he swited to the spitefire pro series and had never had a problem with thoseoso if u are going to get expandables i would suggest spitfire pro series

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shot alot of deer w/regular spitfires and have never had a problem.....still one of my favorite heads on the market......

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

A couple years ago I bought some NAP heads. Don't recall the model though. They were inexpensive but, flew nice. I didn't take a deer with them but the racoon and woodchuck populations suffered alittle. Oh yeah, they made a heck of a mess out of a squirrel too!:thumb:

5. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

Expandables

I personally use muzzy 100's, but my brother uses expandables. So far he has shot 2 deer in the front shoulder and both of them of broke off about a inch from the tip of the arrow. Last week he shot a big 8 point square in the shoulder. Looked like a great shot. When we went up to go look for the deer the arrow was on the ground not far from where he shot it. Between the broadhead and the arrow there was only about 2-3" of penetration. My brother is shooting a bowtec with a 31" draw and shooting a 500grn. arrow at #70. There is no reason why it should'nt of smoked right through that shoulder no matter where he hit it. Maybe other expandables are better but from what I have seen I am sticking to muzzy's.

6. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Maybe he should stop shooting deer in the shoulder and start shooting them in the lungs. Shooting a deer in the shoulder and failing to get penetration is not the fault of the head. It is the hunters responsibility to take a good shot, not their equipments responsibility to overcome their poor aim.

But to answer the original poster, I have shot expandables for turkey and they work very well. I prefer fixed for deer and larger game.

7. CoyoteHunter

CoyoteHunter Member

A frind of mine shoots Grin Reapers and they leave a nasty hole on the exit side and another frind shoots them new Rage 3 blade and they leave a even nastyer hole on both sides if I were ever to go to expandables I would use one of these 2

8. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I would have to agree......

10. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Just give me the good ol fixed broadhead, Muzzy's are da blade.:hungry: Holy Smokes

11. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I've had great luck with Spitfire XP Pro heads by NAP

12. GreggWNY

GreggWNY Junior Member

I have been having great success with Snyper XP 3 Blades expandables. This is typical of the entry wound...they bleed so well that Stevie Wonder likes to come over to blood trail them :rockon:

13. GreggWNY

GreggWNY Junior Member

and the exit wounds ........................

14. papito

papito Petering it since 06

i use spitsfire and i love them, but i think i'm going to switch to muzzys.